Top Shelf Aquatics

yellow star polyp problems

seashellshelly

seashellshelly

A week ago I bought some yellow star polyps from my LFS. They looked fine at the LFS but when I got home I realized a few of the polyps were kinda brown. (I'm a newbie and realize I should have inspected them closer at the store) I acclimated them 2 hrs and then added them to my tank. They opened up immediately and looked happy so I didn't worry about the few ugly ones. Now I'm noticing that more of the polyps are turning brown and a few of them appear to be "shrunken". All the polyps are opening but more and more of them are turning brown. I have some zoos in my tank that are doing awesome so I'm not sure what the problem is. Is there anything I can do to try and save the yellow star polyps??

Thanks

Shelly

seashellshelly

Here is a picture. They are turning quite brown and some appear to be "shrinking". They are opening however. Not sure what to do.

I am not sure if brown is an issue or not, but they could just be acclimating to your light. You could try feeding them marine cusine or something like that with a turkey baster.

Dale

seashellshelly

well damn, they are very slowly dying one at a time. I have no clue what to do. I guess when they look bad enough I'll take them out. I have only like 2 polyps that are 100%. I had a bad feeling about them the first day I brought them home. I should have just returned them.

seashellshelly

I know they aren't anemones. The LFS called them yellow star polyps. I may have the wrong name but I know I've seen them in other peoples tanks. They were actually a nice bright yellow when I got them.

Those are called yellow polyps, at least that's what I've seen

them listed as at the LFS's that I frequent. Yellow polyps were

the first coral that I added to my tank 6 months ago. I had

a few problems when I was just starting out, check the water

temp, test ammonia, SG, NO2, N03 do a 20% water change.

This is the protocol that I've been following and it has worked

for me.

HTH

RD

seashellshelly

All my levels are great and I just did a water change over the weekend. They look worse than ever. Everything else in my tank is thriving.

Yeah those look like yellow polyps. I brought a rock from my lfs when i 1st started too. Whne i 1st got them they where yellow then as time passed they turned green... I think its cause of my pc lights, not the same as mh or natural sunlight. I've had the yellow polyps for a year and a half. I never target feed them, they just eat what ever food i feed to my tank. Mostly flake food

seashellshelly

Well upon close inspection they appeared to have formed some sort of fungus on them. They were all looking pretty bad. I decided to cut my losses and just throw them out before they spread some sort of "funk" to the rest of my tank. I should have inspected them closer at the LFS and not bought them in the first place. This is my first official loss.

Archived