SaltCritters.com

Macro algae dosing

cd459

I’ve kept freshwater planted tanks before with good success so now I want to attempt a macro algae planted tank. I’m wondering how necessary it is to dose N and P, plus and other nutrients (Mg) if you have a decent fish bio load? The tank wouldn’t be heavily planted, maybe just 2-3 macros to start out. Thanks in advance.

• 2 months later...

I’m having good  success by dosing per the instructions, with Kent Purple Tech. Lots of new Shoots coming up, and they are growing from the bottom of my mixed size Reef Bed, it still applies not planting the original shoot too deep. My Turtle Grass which is on the Other side of the Aquarium is putting out new blades, wish it would start sending out runners. 

Need for dosing nitrates and phosphates varies hugely between tanks, based on feeding and how much is used up. Magnesium doesn't vary at all from fish load, and is probably most likely to be a problem, if you feed heavily. Chaetogro gets good reviews.