ReefCleaners.org

Surface Scum

mhossom

Hi all,

My first nano is running along just fine. My cycle is done and I am experiencing my first serious algae bloom. Blechhh:*(

My question is for those of you that do not have a skimmer box or overflow in your tanks. How do you deal with the scum that forms on the surface of the water?

Should I aim one of my PHs right at the surface?

Thanks

I had the same problem. Simply direct powerhead flow towards surface. It may cause quicker evaporation but keeps surface aerated and clean plus it gives a rippling lighting effect through the tank.

Though some will argue.... Newspaper will remove surface slime in a pinch... its a "Poor mans skimmer" but works well. simply lay a sheet of news paper on top of surface allow it to asorb for 6- 10 seconds and remove. repete fer 4 seconds if necessarywith another sheet. ;)

Hummm... interesting, just a couple of days ago I claimed that I had not seen anyone on nano-reef with this problem! LOL, having movement along the surface is very important in my opinion. I have always had a PH (or PHs) that blew not only "at" my surface but "across" it. When you just blow in one spot, it is possible to have problems with a "skin" growing on the opposite side of the tank. I truly believe that circulation is the best prevention of stagnant water ;).

i have the same problem with my tank, especially after a water change when i get a load of tiny bubbles or disturbed debris floating into the surface ' scum'.

I'm gona try the newspaper tactic but won't anything get leeched into the tank from the ink? been using a pipette to remove most of the scum recently but as you can imagine it can take awhile. :P

I think the only really viable solution is to get some sort of surface skimming filter for my tank and probably throw in some carbon as well.

Hong

P.S- I've always pointed both my ph at the surface, all it does is swirl the scum around which eventually deposits itself in a corner of the tank. :(

When I get the occasional build-up, I just skim it with a small cup. Cheaper than a $10 skimmer-addon even. However, I may consider one if I had a HOB filter, but all my circulation is internal.

Archived