Pod Your Reef

30G SPS lighting

Bryan_Pratt

Hi, new to that forums, im trying to decide what light i want for a 30 gallon SPS tank its 36 long x 12 deep x 16 high. The 2 lights I have narrowed it down to is a 8x39 watt T5 setup (300$) or a 4x39 watt T5+ 1 250 watt MH (350$). Im a bit afraid if i go with the MH i will have heat problems and dont have the extra budjet for a chiller. Any advice will be a big help. Thanks, Bryan

You will need the MH for the SPS, but one may not do. Dont 30g have a brace across the center? If so, then you will have a huge shadow. If not then your SPS will need to be concentrated in the center. You might be fine with 2 X 250w 20K HQI MH bulbs alone. The DE HQI's run a bit cooler then the moguls and have similar PAR to the 400w's. With the 20K you probably wont need actinic supplimentation.

NewbieReefer

metal halides, i have a 30 gallon with sps, and clams. My tank doesnt get about 81 and that's with out fans. With fans it would probably be about 78-79. Metal Halides are just awesome, no comparison.

It depends on how you are setting it up. If it is going into a closed hood, you will probably need a fan or two. If you are using a pendent between 8" and 12" above the water, you will probably be fine without any extra cooling.

Archived