inTank Media Baskets

55 gallon fish tank stocking list.

Just a kid

Just a kid

I have had a 10 gallon tank for about a year and a half. In that tank I have 2 occelaris clownfish and 1 yellow watchman goby. I have finally figured out what tank I am getting! It is a 55 gallon long. The dimensions are 48 inches in Length, 13 inches in width, and 20 inches in height. While I’m waiting for it to arrive I’m thinking about some cool fish that could live in my tank. I was thinking the following fish:

2 occelaris clownfish(already have)

1 yellow watchman goby(already have)

1 flame angel

1 royal gramma

1 six line wrasse or( I would add this last)

2 Banggai cardinalfish or 1 chalk bass

So like 7-8 fish

How does this sound? 

Sounds reasonable assuming you have the filtration to support.  Live rock, skimmer, etc.

My two reservations are the Flame angel and six line wrasse.  They both have the same pattern of swimming close to the rockwork and picking items off of the rocks.

Are you going to have corals?  Flame angel can nip at certain ones.  If you get a Flame angel I would add it when the tank is more mature...like 8 month to 1 year mark.

Six lines are hit or miss.  Definitely add last as you've stated.  Could be fine, could become a total monster.  I've had mine for 2 years and it's been good...but I have a big tank and I don't have any fish that occupy it's territory so to speak.

I would add your current three first...wait a couple of weeks and add the cardinals or gramma.  I would add an angel or six line, but not both...last.

Just a kid
55 minutes ago, DreC80 said:

Sounds reasonable assuming you have the filtration to support.  Live rock, skimmer, etc.

My two reservations are the Flame angel and six line wrasse.  They both have the same pattern of swimming close to the rockwork and picking items off of the rocks.

Are you going to have corals?  Flame angel can nip at certain ones.  If you get a Flame angel I would add it when the tank is more mature...like 8 month to 1 year mark.

Six lines are hit or miss.  Definitely add last as you've stated.  Could be fine, could become a total monster.  I've had mine for 2 years and it's been good...but I have a big tank and I don't have any fish that occupy it's territory so to speak.

I would add your current three first...wait a couple of weeks and add the cardinals or gramma.  I would add an angel or six line, but not both...last.

Thanks for the advice! Do you think I could have the McCoskers flasher wrasse instead of the six line and if so, Could I have the McCoskers and the angel. I will not be having any corals.

Just a kid
11 minutes ago, DreC80 said:

That could work.  You'll definitely want a screen top though...the wrasse is pretty much guaranteed to jump.

I have one of those.