inTank Media Baskets

It started with Loki.

FollyFish

So, all my fish like to gather in the same corner when I lift the lid on the tank, they think its time to eat even though I dont feed them in that corner. I had lifted the lid and was adding some nori that I had just rubber band to a rock, when Loki my yellow neon goby decided to clean/take bite of my hand. He had never done this before. It started me and I droped the rock into the sand and jerked my hand back. That startled Kyle (my carpenter wrasse) who then jumped out of my tank and landed on a full power bar behind several computer monitors on my desk. I grabed Kyle be the tail (only part of him I could reach) cupped him in my hand and held him in the water until he changed to his stressed colours and swam into the rock cave.

Meanwhile with my hand back in the water cupping Kyle, Loki and Wolfe ( skunk clearner shimp) decided that it was an invite to finish cleaning my hand. 

My concern is Kyle. He took a hard landing and I am not a good house keeper so not only did he land on a fully used power bar but a ton of dust as well. Right now Kyle is sticking close to the main caves and my instinct is telling me to leave him alone, but I really want to get the dust off him. 

20200525_122445.jpg

Yeah, he really needs to be left alone. The dust won't hurt him and will come off eventually. I'd recommend turning the lights off early, so he can recover in the dark. If he didn't whack his head too hard, he should recover fine. 

I left him alone and after about 3 hours he left the cave and started to swim more normally. I gave everyone lunch and he ate with gusto. At fish super time he ate well and got into the usual food agression with my blue/green chromis (Lucas) and my clownfish Folly. My guess is that he has recovered but I will watch him tomorrow just to be sure. 

5 hours ago, Tired said:

Yeah, he really needs to be left alone. The dust won't hurt him and will come off eventually. I'd recommend turning the lights off early, so he can recover in the dark. If he didn't whack his head too hard, he should recover fine. 

The stupid thing is I know Kyle is a jumper. I had personally witnessed him do it twice in one day. On that day he hit the glass. I also know that he had given it ago on other days as well. So I knew to watch for it. 

I guess now I will need to keep and eye out for Loki since he is like 1/2 inch of fearlessness. 

I had a zebra danio (fast, flighty freshwater fish, think sped-up minnow) jump up and hit me in the face once. Some fish jump a lot, and the only thing you can do is make sure your lid doesn't have any gaps. 

You may also want to make sure your tank has enough boltholes, and look up if Kyle is a type of wrasse that likes to dart into the sand when scared. Some fish jump less if they have more safe boltholes. 

Sidenote, I'd be interested to see a picture of a 1/2" neon goby. Sounds adorable.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Tired said:

I had a zebra danio (fast, flighty freshwater fish, think sped-up minnow) jump up and hit me in the face once. Some fish jump a lot, and the only thing you can do is make sure your lid doesn't have any gaps. 

You may also want to make sure your tank has enough boltholes, and look up if Kyle is a type of wrasse that likes to dart into the sand when scared. Some fish jump less if they have more safe boltholes. 

Sidenote, I'd be interested to see a picture of a 1/2" neon goby. Sounds adorable.

Loki sitting on a powerhead. I have nassarius snails that are bigger then him. 

20200526_172339.jpg

• Like 1