Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Need Sump and Fuge Set Up Help

w1dude

Hi all,

I recently set up my custom built/used sump. It came with a teeter tottering algae scrubber, which is going to be removed.

I am looking to add a refuge section to this sump by adding one more baffle.  I plan to move the skimmer to right next to the Main overflow.

My question: is there any reason I should keep overflow piping split and run a small amount of flow direct to the refuge without hitting the skimmer section?  

The first photo is my current set up, the second photo is my mock up drawing.

I am open to all ideas! Please shoot me some! Thanks in advance. 

2AC39195-0BAE-46D7-ABDD-867EE28C1E80.jpeg

A0D3701C-0DA6-4973-866E-7D826A4AE564.jpeg

I wouldn't.  Your fuge area will get dirty with water coming directly from main tank and no form of mechanical filtration.  Additionally, some water will be skipping your skimmer altogether.  Depending on the flow it may be too much for the fuge/not give enough contact time.  You also may get more micro bubbles in the tank.  Just my 2 cents.

49 minutes ago, DreC80 said:

I wouldn't.  Your fuge area will get dirty with water coming directly from main tank and no form of mechanical filtration.  Additionally, some water will be skipping your skimmer altogether.  Depending on the flow it may be too much for the fuge/not give enough contact time.  You also may get more micro bubbles in the tank.  Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the response.  Do you see any issue with my set up if I run 100% overflow to skimmer first then refuge?

I don't.  I know in the red sea sumps, the fuge compartment is first and then the skimmer compartment.  I'm assuming there is a method to the madness.  Probably so the algae can get first dibs on the water prior to the skimmer pulling DOCs.  Just something to consider.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2020 at 9:30 AM, w1dude said:

It came with a teeter tottering algae scrubber, which is going to be removed.

Why?

On 5/21/2020 at 9:30 AM, w1dude said:

I am looking to add a refuge section to this sump

Also why?

For simplicity, consider leaving things alone (don't use the algae scrubber if you don't want to) and just run the skimmer on the sump as-is.  See how it goes.  IMO you might eventually decide that all the extras on that sump (present as well as planned) aren't necessary...and instead of adding on might choose to upgrade to a plain tank that just houses the drain and skimmer.  My usual preference.