SaltCritters.com

Colorful fish for nano tank

Just a kid

Just a kid

I helped my grandma set up her first saltwater tank which is 20 gallons and she got 2 clownfish. 1 extreme Picasso and 1 black occelaris. They are both about 1.5 inches. Today we bought a yellow tail damsel that is about 1 inch. I know they can be aggressive but the damsel has been with 5 other yellow tail damsels and 3 green chromis and the fish store guy told me that he shouldn’t be aggressive towards the clownfish. We are now looking to add a colorful fish that won’t get bullied by the other fish. Some ideas I had were royal gramma, some type of flasher/fairy wrasse, coral Beauty angelfish, and six line wrasse. Any other suggestions would be great. I also have about 20 pounds of rock

You already asked basically this question. The same fish recommended to you before will work now. The majority of small fish available for a reef are colorful. Fairy wrasse and angelfish still need more room than you have.

The damselfish being with other damsels doesn't mean it will be peaceful. It means they'd reached a stalemate, helped along by the unfamiliar environment of the store tank. Yellowtail damsels aren't too bad as damsels go, but should still be classed as at least semi-aggressive. 

Given that you have 3 semi-aggressive fish, your final fish will have to put up with that. A royal gramma could work, if you make sure it has enough places to hide, as could a sixline wrasse. A shrimpgoby with a pistol shrimp would spend its time under the rocks, and would thus be safe. Clown gobies taste bad and are bully-resistant due to that. 

Keep a very close eye on your fish for signs of aggression, especially since you have two different clownfish species. 

• Like 1
whisnantrider

In my experience the neon dotty back could be perfectly fine or a merciless murderer. Literally saw one disembowel other fish before.  I think the six line is your best bet. That said any new additions from the time he goes in will likely become a victim.

Some of the more colorful basslets would be good to. I have a Swalesi basslet who does great in my 30 with similar stock. They are a bit harder to find and certainly more expensive then a six line or gramma though. 

Just a kid
6 minutes ago, whisnantrider said:

In my experience the neon dotty back could be perfectly fine or a merciless murderer. Literally saw one disembowel other fish before.  I think the six line is your best bet. That said any new additions from the time he goes in will likely become a victim.

Some of the more colorful basslets would be good to. I have a Swalesi basslet who does great in my 30 with similar stock. They are a bit harder to find and certainly more expensive then a six line or gramma though. 

Thanks for your advice

3 hours ago, Just a kid said:

I helped my grandma set up her first saltwater tank which is 20 gallons and she got 2 clownfish. 1 extreme Picasso and 1 black occelaris. They are both about 1.5 inches. Today we bought a yellow tail damsel that is about 1 inch. I know they can be aggressive but the damsel has been with 5 other yellow tail damsels and 3 green chromis and the fish store guy told me that he shouldn’t be aggressive towards the clownfish. We are now looking to add a colorful fish that won’t get bullied by the other fish. Some ideas I had were royal gramma, some type of flasher/fairy wrasse, coral Beauty angelfish, and six line wrasse. Any other suggestions would be great. I also have about 20 pounds of rock

I would say one more fish and your tank is probably about tapped out bioload wise.  The clowns will get to 3 inches.

Don't assume that just because the LFS says it will be ok means it'll actually be ok.  The fish in LFS tanks are there temporarily and may not exhibit the same behavior as they would once settled into your tank.  I think the yellow tail will probably be fine though.

As others have said the tank is way too small for a coral beauty or any other type of angelfish for that matter.  Wrasses also generally need more space except possum wrasses, but those will probably get picked on.

Your current fish are considered semi-aggressive, so I would only add a semi-aggresive fish in.

I have a six line wrasse that I've had for over 2 years with no issues, but it is in a much larger tank.  I think you are taking a risk adding one in a 20 gallon.  Much like a dottyback, it could also wreak havoc.

I would continue to research options while your bacteria population catches up to the addition of the new fish.

Go to live aquaria and checkout their nano fish section.  Post on here when you've narrowed it down and I'm sure folks will chime in to give advice.

Just a kid
On 5/20/2020 at 9:09 PM, DreC80 said:

I would say one more fish and your tank is probably about tapped out bioload wise.  The clowns will get to 3 inches.

Don't assume that just because the LFS says it will be ok means it'll actually be ok.  The fish in LFS tanks are there temporarily and may not exhibit the same behavior as they would once settled into your tank.  I think the yellow tail will probably be fine though.

As others have said the tank is way too small for a coral beauty or any other type of angelfish for that matter.  Wrasses also generally need more space except possum wrasses, but those will probably get picked on.

Your current fish are considered semi-aggressive, so I would only add a semi-aggresive fish in.

I have a six line wrasse that I've had for over 2 years with no issues, but it is in a much larger tank.  I think you are taking a risk adding one in a 20 gallon.  Much like a dottyback, it could also wreak havoc.

I would continue to research options while your bacteria population catches up to the addition of the new fish.

Go to live aquaria and checkout their nano fish section.  Post on here when you've narrowed it down and I'm sure folks will chime in to give advice.

Alright, so I have narrowed it down to 6 fish: Bicolor blenny, Yellow watchman goby, yellow head Jawfish , Midas blenny, six line wrasse, and Royal Gramma. What do you guys think?

4 hours ago, Just a kid said:

Alright, so I have narrowed it down to 6 fish: Bicolor blenny, Yellow watchman goby, yellow head Jawfish , Midas blenny, six line wrasse, and Royal Gramma. What do you guys think?

Jawfish need a specialized environment: 6” plus of sand. 
Midas gets too big, and will probably get shredded by those other fish. 
BiColor like to hide, you may not see it much. 

Watchman or sixline is your best option IMO, gramma could work if you have enough rock work. 

Just a kid
9 minutes ago, RedCrow said:

Watchman or sixline is your best option IMO, gramma could work if you have enough rock work. 

Thanks for the advice!

Just a kid
40 minutes ago, RedCrow said:

Do you think an orchid dottyback could work also?

15 minutes ago, Just a kid said:

Do you think an orchid dottyback could work also?

I think it would. That’s one fish I don’t have any personal experience with, but I believe it’s pretty similar to the gramma in terms of aggression. 

you could also do another chrysiptera damsel. Many colors available.  

ggabrielcc
On 5/20/2020 at 10:25 PM, Just a kid said:

I have a royal gramma and some clowns and when ever I change something, e.g. adding a frag, they bully it so id watch out with the grammar, its ok but every tank is different 🙂