ReefCleaners.org

lighting recommendations for 24 x 8 x 8 tank

neyes_ice

mitten_reef
23 minutes ago, nano_nano_nano said:

looking for lighting recommendations for 24" x 8" x 8" UNS 6 gallon tank. will likely to be a zoa only tank.

tank is too narrow for most any pendant type (AI, kessil, etc).

recommend bars, these varies in intensity/strength, from something basic like orbit marine IC, to orphek bar, or Reefbrite, are the first three that came to mind.  many more out there.  

1 minute ago, mitten_reef said:

tank is too narrow for most any pendant type (AI, kessil, etc).

recommend bars, these varies in intensity/strength, from something basic like orbit marine IC, to orphek bar, or Reefbrite, are the first three that came to mind.  many more out there.  

i had those in mind. can you use those reefbrites as stand alone? will they grow zoas? and you just get blues on them right?

mitten_reef
1 minute ago, nano_nano_nano said:

i had those in mind. can you use those reefbrites as stand alone? will they grow zoas? and you just get blues on them right?

not sure what you mean...by standalone?  as in you've seen most as T5 supplements? 

I think some white mixed in will be better at growing zoas, but i don't know.  I'm not a big zoa collector.  most led bars do come in 50/50 (white/blue), or even all white, or full spectrum (orphek or reefbreeder)).  just take a look around for what fits your bills.

mitten_reef
9 minutes ago, nano_nano_nano said:

don't they use the reef brites as supplementary? i was wondering if they will be enough for corals as primary lighting.

most T5 owners use them to supplement for the "pop",  but blue spectrum is also necessary for coral growth, that's why led fixtures like Radion or AI use many blue led's in them.  and yes, reefbrite XHO is possibly one of the strongest output light bar out there.  again, just like any type of fixtures, you need to research what fits your tank and your budget.   

your tank will be 8" deep.... it won't take much to grow corals, especially with just zoas.  I kept/grew sps/acros heavy under two orbit marine IC plus a 20-watt cheapie blue led bar (3 bars total) in my IM30L (13" tall) for 4 months.  and these bars have similar if not lower power than reefbrite.

41875056582_3687ca13ee_c.jpg

• Thanks 1

A single basic Truelumen Pro strip will do it, but if you want sunrise/sunset then consider a basic Marine Orbit.  (Not IC.). Use the built-in legs so it can rest right on the rim of the tank.

Like this:

image.png.e1b7070a3f4709d4d93e9c7efb572a5d.png

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, mcarroll said:

A single basic Truelumen Pro strip will do it, but if you want sunrise/sunset then consider a basic Marine Orbit.  (Not IC.). Use the built-in legs so it can rest right on the rim of the tank.

Like this:

image.png.e1b7070a3f4709d4d93e9c7efb572a5d.png

i was considering this too. other contender is a reef brite lumi pro 50/50

As long as you don't mind the lack of control, it should work well (similar to the Truelumen Pro).   I'm not familiar with its specifics though...does it have lenses?  For a tank this shallow you either want no lenses or 120º lenses  ideally.

• Thanks 1