ReefCleaners.org

Tankmate for Orchid and Damsel

roblox84

5 hours ago, roblox84 said:

I swapped my return for a spare i had and it's still showing the same voltage.

I remembered that just before memorial day i was in a rush and stupidly rinsed activated carbon in untreated tap water than added to the tank. Could the fish have gotten chlorine poisoning from the residual tap water in the carbon?

I doubt it.  It may be worth sending in an ICP test just too see if there is something in the water that we don't normally test for.  

On the stray voltage piece...not trying to insult your intelligence but you are positive those are the numbers?  I know when I tested my tank I had to really make sure the black lead was making a good connection in the ground or else the numbers would jump around.

6 hours ago, DreC80 said:

I doubt it.  It may be worth sending in an ICP test just too see if there is something in the water that we don't normally test for.  

On the stray voltage piece...not trying to insult your intelligence but you are positive those are the numbers?  I know when I tested my tank I had to really make sure the black lead was making a good connection in the ground or else the numbers would jump around

Yes I'm pretty certain. I've tested numerous times, used a new extension cord and made sure i held the black probe into the ground where it got the best connection. 

• Like 1

So I'm pretty sure I finally figured out what caused all this. Around the same time I got my CUC I also purchased a few frags locally. I was supposed to go pick up some more but haven't heard from the guy in a while so just now I decided to IM him on a local group. I then noticed he created a thread about his tank having issues and him coming home to finding dead fish breathing heavily on their side just like mine.

It makes sense now because his coral went into my 20g and none went into my 5g, so this didn't come from the snails which i added to both tanks. Whatever it is came on the coral frags i bought from him.

So now how do I proceed? I don't think he specified what the disease was for sure but some posters suspected brookynella since his clownish developed white stuff around the mouth. Is my tank doomed or will a fallow period kill anything I introduced?

Yikes, that sucks.  Especially since you don't know what he had.  I know going fallow for 70ish days works for ich, but I'm not sure about other diseases.  @Humblefish should definitely know though.

Humblefish

6 weeks fallow eradicates all diseases except for this 1 oddball strain of Ich (76 days).

Did you see any symptoms of disease before the fish died? White dots, mucous sloughing off, scratching, twitching, heavy breathing, swimming into the flow of a powerhead?

3 hours ago, Humblefish said:

6 weeks fallow eradicates all diseases except for this 1 oddball strain of Ich (76 days).

Did you see any symptoms of disease before the fish died? White dots, mucous sloughing off, scratching, twitching, heavy breathing, swimming into the flow of a powerhead?

I didn't observe any symptoms in my Orchid Dottyback, it just hid and died in its cave without me realizing it.

In my Damsel the only possible symptoms I observed was heavy breathing and what seemed like an aversion to light because it started to hide in the rocks constantly right before it died.

4 hours ago, DreC80 said:

Yikes, that sucks.  Especially since you don't know what he had.  I know going fallow for 70ish days works for ich, but I'm not sure about other diseases.  @Humblefish should definitely know though.

So now I'm even more confused. That guy replied and he said that the frags came out of his main display that has no issues and didn't come from his 20g were fish would die. I'm stumped.

23 minutes ago, roblox84 said:

So now I'm even more confused. That guy replied and he said that the frags came out of his main display that has no issues and didn't come from his 20g were fish would die. I'm stumped.

Yeah, that's tough.  Not really sure where to go from here.  

Could loud music kill fish? Around this timespan my wife was cleaning and had the surround sound up very loud and there was a lot of bass. My living room is small too. Or maybe even the AC kicking on for the season dropped the PH too low?

There was a discussion elsewhere about if loud music would stress fish. Plenty of people evidently play loud music near fish tanks without any evident distress from the fish. 

If you put the fish tank on a speaker, you might have a problem. But I'm pretty sure any volume that would physically kill the fish with sheer sound would also hurt your wife's ears pretty badly. I can't imagine your home speakers are that loud. 

2 hours ago, Tired said:

There was a discussion elsewhere about if loud music would stress fish. Plenty of people evidently play loud music near fish tanks without any evident distress from the fish. 

If you put the fish tank on a speaker, you might have a problem. But I'm pretty sure any volume that would physically kill the fish with sheer sound would also hurt your wife's ears pretty badly. I can't imagine your home speakers are that loud. 

You're probably right. It had to have been some disease i introduced from those frags that he's just not fessing up to. Way too much of a coincidence.

• Like 1
Humblefish
On 5/31/2020 at 1:20 PM, roblox84 said:

In my Damsel the only possible symptoms I observed was heavy breathing and what seemed like an aversion to light because it started to hide in the rocks constantly right before it died.

Fish with velvet oftentimes become sensitive to light and stay hidden in the rocks: https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/404078-marine-velvet-fish-disease-information/

I would probably go fallow (fishless) in the tank for at least 6 weeks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 5/30/2020 at 2:20 AM, roblox84 said:

I swapped my return for a spare i had and it's still showing the same voltage.

I remembered that just before memorial day i was in a rush and stupidly rinsed activated carbon in untreated tap water than added to the tank. Could the fish have gotten chlorine poisoning from the residual tap water in the carbon?

Nope. I have topped off with straight tap before... Mwhahaha 😱

or wash my sand with it. There is not enough in there to matter.

Sorry you lost them 😞

• Like 1

So I was just looking through some old posts and I saw one where you were asking about Bayer dip for corals.

Did you ever end up using it?  If so, your fish problems started after you introduced the new frags right?

Is it possible that the frags weren't completely rinsed off and the Bayer dip got into your tank?  

I could see it possibly killing your fish.

1 minute ago, DreC80 said:

So I was just looking through some old posts and I saw one where you were asking about Bayer dip for corals.

Did you ever end up using it?  If so, your fish problems started after you introduced the new frags right?

Is it possible that the frags weren't completely rinsed off and the Bayer dip got into your tank?  

I could see it possibly killing your fish.

No i actually used coral revive instead. But yeah i didn't rinse the frags after that, i forgot. You think the coral revive might have killed the fish?

1 minute ago, roblox84 said:

No i actually used coral revive instead. But yeah i didn't rinse the frags after that, i forgot. You think the coral revive might have killed the fish?

Possibly...the problem with these dips is they are proprietary blends so they never really tell you what's in them.  Might be worth reaching out to the company and asking.

If they confirm it could have killed them, then at least you know what the issue was and could do 100% water change before adding new fish.

• Thanks 1
On 6/3/2020 at 11:05 PM, DreC80 said:

Possibly...the problem with these dips is they are proprietary blends so they never really tell you what's in them.  Might be worth reaching out to the company and asking.

If they confirm it could have killed them, then at least you know what the issue was and could do 100% water change before adding new fish.

I started to think the dip was the issue so I bought a cheap fish after changing the water and sure enough it already has white spots all over it. Looks like I'll be going fallow for the summer.