inTank Media Baskets

When can i add Corals to Tank

Arun

Mine is 29 Gallon Tank. Cycled about a month back and have add a fish. Its doing good. Two days back i tested my parameters, Ammonia - 0, Nitrite - 0, Nitrate -10 PPM. 

I do have Orbit Marine LED.

When can i add corals? what other parameters i have to look for? what corals i can add? interested in adding Pom pom Xenia, Green Star polys, Zoa.

9 minutes ago, Arun said:

Mine is 29 Gallon Tank. Cycled about a month back and have add a fish. Its doing good. Two days back i tested my parameters, Ammonia - 0, Nitrite - 0, Nitrate -10 PPM. 

I do have Orbit Marine LED.

When can i add corals? what other parameters i have to look for? what corals i can add? interested in adding Pom pom Xenia, Green Star polys, Zoa.

The Corals you want to add should do fine they are very hardy. The light won't give you the best growth. The GSP and Xenia thrive in dirty tanks( higher Nitrate's and age) so not much growth from them right away ether. 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Addinali said:

The GSP and Xenia thrive in dirty tanks( higher Nitrate's and age) so not much growth from them right away ether. 

Thanks. Do GSP and Xenia grow well in  New Tank or Tank with high Nitrate ? what other recommendation for corals i can look for?

13 minutes ago, Arun said:

Thanks. Do GSP and Xenia grow well in  New Tank or Tank with high Nitrate ? what other recommendation for corals i can look for?

I would stick with those corals for now. Make sure you have plenty of testing supply's and see how they go. GSP and Xenia will live fine but they have better growth in a more established higher nitrate system.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Addinali said:

Make sure you have plenty of testing supply's

What kind of testing do i need to do? how often do i need to test it? Sorry for asking to many questions.

IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut
11 minutes ago, Arun said:

What kind of testing do i need to do? how often do i need to test it? Sorry for asking to many questions.

Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, salinity, pH, calcium, phosphate, alkalinity at the bare minimum. 

For a newer tank, I'd test every few days. After a year or so, usually just phosphate, calcium, and alkalinity regularly. 

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut said:

Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, salinity, pH, calcium, phosphate, alkalinity at the bare minimum. 

For a newer tank, I'd test every few days. After a year or so, usually just phosphate, calcium, and alkalinity regularly. 

1+

Just be aware that both the xeina and GSP have a tendency to take over space to the point where nothing else can survive. You might want to isolate them to there own rock islands if you are looking to add more  corals in the future. Also once established they are very hard to kill or remove. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, FollyFish said:

that both the xeina and GSP have a tendency to take over space to the point where nothing else can survive. You might want to isolate them to there own rock islands if you are looking to add more  corals in the future. Also once established they are very hard to kill or remove. 

I just do have a drag of those. Do they take over in couple of months or take more than that to grow extensively? Do I just need to cut them in future if they grow or is there is any specific process to cut them up?

Time frame would depend on your tank. I run a high nutrient tank. I got a small frag of GSP the size of a quarter and placed its own rock about the size of a baseball. In 5 months it has filled every part of the rock that it can. I haven't had to remove any as of yet but from what I see you would have to pull the rock if possible and scrape a layer off to get the base of the GSP removed. It spreads in a mat. 

I've never owned xenia so no first hand knowledge on growth rate, but have read about and seen vids on it. You may want to google it if you haven't already.

• Like 1

Xenia and gsp can take over but are also easy to control by manual removal.

Even when you isolate them, they can spread. 

I have watched xenia stretch to attach to other areas. I have watched them remove themselves from rock and drop to another area.

I have gsp on a rock and it has stretched to build onto the glass and rocks.

There aren't many corals that can be fully controlled, biologically designed to spread and continue to grow. 

• Like 1