Pod Your Reef

Powerhead suggestion?

justinkdenny

justinkdenny

I'm looking to add a different powerhead to my nuvo 10.  Amazon has these 3 and I wonder if you guys have any experience with them with some pros and cons.  I already have an upgraded sicce 1.0 in the return with a rfg on the return line and I have been using the original return pump in the display.  It is noisy and moves around on the back wall.  I guess the suctioncups stink.  Any suggestions? 

Screenshot_20200509-091400_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Screenshot_20200509-091716_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Screenshot_20200509-091734_Amazon Shopping.jpg

• Like 1
WV Reefer
17 minutes ago, justinkdenny said:

I'm looking to add a different powerhead to my nuvo 10.  Amazon has these 3 and I wonder if you guys have any experience with them with some pros and cons.  I already have an upgraded sicce 1.0 in the return with a rfg on the return line and I have been using the original return pump in the display.  It is noisy and moves around on the back wall.  I guess the suctioncups stink.  Any suggestions? 

Ive used the first two...... I would pick the Jebao out of that group. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, WV Reefer said:

Ive used the first two...... I would pick the Jebao out of that group. 

+1

It's controllable so you can fine tune the flow for your tank...and you'll be able to increase flow in the future once corals start filling in.

• Like 2
b_roddd720

I would go with the jebao, currently have two sw8s in my 50 cube and I love the adjustability and modes. Also if you are looking for extra flow, look into getting a random flow generator if you are running locline on the return. I've used one on my old 120g and it works wonders

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Thrassian Atoll said:

How quickly do the Jebaos crap out?  

Mine crapped out in 3 months. Store warranty saved me cause you get none with jebao.

4 hours ago, justinkdenny said:

Out of these options, I'd go hydor. 

May not be controllable but they last long, work well, have a warranty, you can get free replacement parts via hydor(excellent customer service)

Otherwise if you are looking for a controllable option that doesn't break the bank, aqamai or tunze

• Like 1
b_roddd720
51 minutes ago, Thrassian Atoll said:

How quickly do the Jebaos crap out?  

I've had my 2 Jebao sw8s for about 2 years, as long as you clean it and maintain it, it will last long. My first one start showing minor issues recently, the impeller would get stuck after I turn it off so I go in there with my finger to move it and it start back up. The other one is fine because it's newer and have been keeping up with maintenance. Works like a charm.

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll

Yeah, I have been thinking about picking up a couple to place on the back wall of my tank but the reviews are all over the place.  Pretty much great when they work, but them working for a decent amount of time is hit and miss.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Thrassian Atoll said:

Yeah, I have been thinking about picking up a couple to place on the back wall of my tank but the reviews are all over the place.  Pretty much great when they work, but them working for a decent amount of time is hit and miss.

Ya, I took the chance going with the good reviews. Wish I hadn't.

I watched the flow in my tank slow down through the hours as though I had changed the settings- water barely moved. My filter and return pump saved my livestock.

I had to every 4 hrs turn the sw2's on and off to get them to work properly for a few hours. 

I replaced them, I couldn't trust them.

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll
39 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Ya, I took the chance going with the good reviews. Wish I hadn't.

I watched the flow in my tank slow down through the hours as though I had changed the settings- water barely moved. My filter and return pump saved my livestock.

I had to every 4 hrs turn the sw2's on and off to get them to work properly for a few hours. 

I replaced them, I couldn't trust them.

Hmmm, might have to just buy a couple mp10s down the road or a couple of the small gyres.  Might be a lot of overkill though.  Haha.  

I just want some front to back flow in my Waterbox 130.4.  The mp40s are great on the sides but not much front to back movement.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Thrassian Atoll said:

Hmmm, might have to just buy a couple mp10s down the road or a couple of the small gyres.  Might be a lot of overkill though.  Haha.  

I just want some front to back flow in my Waterbox 130.4.  The mp40s are great on the sides but not much front to back movement.

That was my experience with jebao. Others have had good experiences with them.

• Like 3
dnadrifter

I've been using this one.   It has a nice solid mount system.  Purchased from Amazon.  I wouldn't say it is silent, but not loud either.

Since Nano 1000

_P2A3739_editv1.jpg.2c34b20010843e37277b3bc11c45f538.jpg

• Like 2
justinkdenny
2 hours ago, dnadrifter said:

I've been using this one.   It has a nice solid mount system.  Purchased from Amazon.  I wouldn't say it is silent, but not loud either.

Since Nano 1000

_P2A3739_editv1.jpg.2c34b20010843e37277b3bc11c45f538.jpg

I just found this on amazon.  I really like my sicce return pump. How large is it, measurements,  and is it black or gray.  One person lowered the reviewed saying it was gray and it looked black on website.

dnadrifter

See website below for specs.  Not sure about the 2.4" measurement it gives though.   Seems like it sticks out about 3" from the wall.

Its a dark gray, not black.   It has a 3yr warranty as well.  Not that I would send it back probably if it died before 3 yrs, but that sometimes speaks to the build quality.  I like it.

https://www.sicce.com/en/products/stream-pumps/voyager-nano.html

• Like 1
BearTheSquare

I agree with the sicce 1000 recommendation. I’ve been using it in addition to the sicce 1.0 return in my NUVO 10. Pretty sleek and puts out good flow.

• Like 2
WilliamBowman

I am using a Hydor Koralia Nano Aquarium Circulation Pump. In general, this is a wise investment that is worth a try. You can select between multiple distinct sizes and that implies that it does not matter if you’re searching for the biggest or the smallest fish tank pumps since you can fully rely on this brand. Unlike other versions, this does not consume more power and space. And, this is why it was touted as the most ideal nano powerheads for your small tanks.
But, despite the many amazing features of this brand, be careful when operating this circulation pump because controlling its speed is uneasy and you also need to deal with some noise while this device is working.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, justinkdenny said:

I just found this on amazon.  I really like my sicce return pump. How large is it, measurements,  and is it black or gray.  One person lowered the reviewed saying it was gray and it looked black on website.

Its grey. I have one. One of the first powerheads I purchased. Don't use it in dt now but did in my 15g.

It sticks out about 3" and sometimes was noisy.

Otherwise a good powerhead for constant flow.(its not controllable)

• Like 1