ReefCleaners.org

Lowering PO4 without bottoming out

AquaVaj

According to the Hanna it's at .03ppm but I think it's only that low because the algae I have is consuming most of it. I have to clean the glass almost every day and have a mild case of hair algae. So how do I lower it without it bottoming out?

8 minutes ago, AquaVaj said:

According to the Hanna it's at .03ppm but I think it's only that low because the algae I have is consuming most of it. I have to clean the glass almost every day and have a mild case of hair algae. So how do I lower it without it bottoming out?

Remember the hanna phosphate checker has an accuracy of + or - 5%...so your actual po4 could be higher or lower.

A few different ways to lower it.  Feed less, water changes, dose nitrates, carbon dosing, gfo.  Careful with the last two as those could lead to bottoming out.   

I wouldn't do anything about it unless you are having major algae problems.  Just manually remove the bit of hair algae you have.  

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/7/2020 at 9:53 PM, AquaVaj said:

According to the Hanna it's at .03ppm but I think it's only that low because the algae I have is consuming most of it.

That's a point of view you see repeated a lot, but it doesn't hold water in terms of husbandry.  Your PO4 level in the water is what it is....algae or not.  😉

I have to clean the glass almost every day and have a mild case of hair algae.

I agree with Clown that cleaning the glass is usually a daily thing, or a couple times a week anyway.

Hair algae is normal.  But if it's growing and spreading it means that you aren't doing anything about it.

"You" being a euphamism for your cleanup crew, of which you are the #1 member.  😁 

Hand pull any algae that has grown large enough for you to grab with your fingers.  Then add a few more herbivorous snails.  See how things go for at least a week or two...if algae still grows and spreads, then repeat the cleaning and add a few more herbivorous snails.  After a few repetitions, snails should be able to carry the whole load and you should have very little to do....but scraping the glass will still be one thing.

So how do I lower it without it bottoming out?

Lowering phosphates is really pretty pointless in most instances where you see people doing it.  Plants and corals will NEED phosphates for reasons beyond just growth and reproduction...but so will a lot of the microfauna that are trying to live and reproduce in your tank.

Further, your corals are only likely to benefit from higher levels of phosphate...whereas there's a very real risk of causing bleaching, or even STN from depleting phosphates too much.  (The system's nitrogen status has a lot to do with this.)