Top Shelf Aquatics

Gluten-free pellet food?

Tired

I'm looking for a pellet food suitable for pico gobies (and LPS), but it needs to be gluten-free. My mother is allergic to gluten, and having gluten-containing products in the house without potentially making her sick is just far too much hassle. 

Does anyone know a good-quality pellet food that doesn't contain wheat, barley, or oats as a binder?

How would I tell if anything on this site is good for saltwater fish? It all seems to be listed for freshwater animals. I also question whether salmon should be the main ingredient in food designed for small fish, which I doubt eat much fish meat in the wild, and I don't like the lack of ingredient details. 

http://www.almostnaturalfishfood.us/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=9&zenid=fg8sjfml5skid1op0f2vus1ol5

If you aren't sprinkling the food on the floor (a la peanut shells on the floor of the steakhouse) and the gluten is contained, is it still really an issue?  (Just asking not questioning.)

• Like 1

If there’s a health concern from gluten, is just stick with whole foods: frozen cyclops, shredded nori, etc. It’d be (a lot) more involved, but you could culture copepods and enrich them with phyto for a very nutritionally complete diet. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mcarroll said:

If you aren't sprinkling the food on the floor (a la peanut shells on the floor of the steakhouse) and the gluten is contained, is it still really an issue?  (Just asking not questioning.)

Wheat allergies can cause anaphylaxis but its not common.

Most gluten allergy symptoms result from ingesting gluten.

• Like 1

Why does it have to be pellet?

Cyclopese is great and I always used to snatch it up if I could find it. My Trimma Cana loved it

Having looked at the website I would go for any of these, maybe not the krill due to size, unless you crush it in pestle and mortar

Screenshot_20200506_223726_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.06c34052f10b6d3aa190da5d370f8e6e.jpg

• Like 2

Mom has long-term nerve damage from eating gluten when she didn't know it made her sick. She has an autoimmune response to it, which means even tiny, tiny traces of it can make her sick for a few days, because her immune system freaks out. I once fed some animals at a petting zoo with food that contained traces of wheat, then touched a water bottle she later drank from, and it was enough to make her sick. If I had gluten fish food, I would have to wash my hands after holding the container or feeding, I would have to make sure no dust from the food got onto anything she might touch later, I would have to worry about the water (I don't know if it could wind up with enough gluten to be a problem), and I would have to make very sure the cats couldn't get at it (like they'll try) and then go lick her. It's probably doable, but it's a pain. 

I have freeze-dried mysis already, but it takes forever to soak it so it'll sink. I didn't think to try dapnhia (I have them to feed to my sundew plants) because they seem a bit small, but I'll try those. I thought pellets because I know those will sink nicely of their own accord. 

• Like 2
NaturallyKait

Two people in our house have autoimmune reactions to gluten too and we haven’t been able to find a pellet that’s gluten free unfortunately. I’d love to know if you figure it out. We feed frozen normally so it’s no problem but pellets would be so much simpler when we need a tank sitter. 

• Like 1