Top Shelf Aquatics

Is this bleaching?

sadie

I got this meteor shower cyphastrea on 4/28.  MOST of what I read said this coral likes LOW light.  Ratvan posted a par guide in another thread (thanks again Ratvan).  It said my sandbed is about 20-30 par, which I think is pretty low.  Some people said they put this in the shadows, under a cliff.  I haven't seen the polys extend.  I know it's just been a week, but I don't know if I should move under a cliff, or it's just stress from the shipping etc.  

I also know the lighting looks different in the pictures, so it's hard to tell if it is bleaching or just the brightness difference, sorry.  If I can get a better picture I will.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

metor shower 4.28.20.JPG

meteor shower 5.5.20.JPG

mitten_reef

No it’s not bleaching. I feel like that term is overused for all type of coral paleness. 

What lighting? And how did you determine par at your sand bed? I know you have a bio cube, is it stock led?

to me? Yes, it looks pale. But I think it might not receive any light if your par number is to go by. Also, yes, shipping stress could be one reason depending on the condition they’re subjected to in transit.  

Also, photos are very hard to compare due to very different lighting conditions. 

3 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

No it’s not bleaching. I feel like that term is overused for all type of coral paleness. 

What lighting? And how did you determine par at your sand bed? I know you have a bio cube, is it stock led?

to me? Yes, it looks pale. But I think it might not receive any light if your par number is to go by. Also, yes, shipping stress could be one reason depending on the condition they’re subjected to in transit.  

Also, photos are very hard to compare due to very different lighting conditions. 

I do have the stock lighting.  I got par # from a guide Ratvan posted from the BioCube web site.  I read that low light was 30-50 par. I have a small piece of LR I could glue it to and get it a little higher, might put it at 30-40 par if it needs MORE light.

And yes, they are hard to compare because of the lighting difference.  

thanks

2 hours ago, dling said:

Please read the requirements for your coral. Saying the the par needs are much higher then your giving.

https://vividaquariums.com/products/meteor-shower-cyphastrea-coral-2

I was already on this site, along with Tidal Gardens, whish say 30-50, along with SEVERAL other stores and forums.  Which is why I said MOST of what I read said low.  I find if you look in one place, it can steer you wrong.  I read a few forums where  most people had them under ledges and cliffs. some said they had acclimated them to higher lights like T5s, but did it slowly.

It 's so hard to know what to do when there is a mix of information even from the stores that sell them.

But thank you for the link and the reply.😊