Top Shelf Aquatics

Lighting options for a 28g nano cube

bfruacikned

Best light option for a 28g nano SPS/LPS tank  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following lighting options would you use?

• Aqua Illumination Hydra 32HD
    • Aqua Illumination Prime 16HD x 2
    • Radion G5 X15 Pro
    • Radion G5 X15 Blue
    • JBJ LED Wifi Hood

bfruacikned

10 years ago a summer storm left me without power for 48 hours. Temps in my tank hit 95, no filtration or pumps and everything died off. Disheartened I cleaned out my 28g MH HQI nano cube and for most of a decade it has gathered dust in my basement.

The mourning period is over. It's time to get back in the game.

I've been mulling it over for years now and always had it in the back of my mind I would get rid of the MH hood that came with it and replace it with an LED option so I could run without chiller. Sadly now that I am ready to upgrade it looks like they (JBJ) discontinued the decent power LED hood (89 watts) and now only sell a weak 39 watt LED variety. My concern with that is the overall PAR output is weak, and in addition it uses smaller diodes which from my understanding of inverses square law means far less penetration. 

I've read a fair bit on the forums about LED's, but I will admit that buying an LED fixture/hood while more expensive is the more attractive option for me. I would like this tank to comfortably sustain both LPS and SPS and if possible function as a medium term home to clams if/when needed before they join my larger 55 gallon tank. It's looking like the clam might be a stretch.

LFS is pushing Aqua Illumination Prime and/or Hydra systems. They seem cool but the 16 seems too little so i'm guessing I'd either need 2 16's or a 32. Here are my options and I'm wondering what people would recommend assuming that price is a minor concern and the quality of lighting is the main focus.

1. Aqua Illumination Prime 16HD. Seems very nice and lots of features/goodies and excellent control of color. I'm guessing for SPS on a 28g nano cube I'd need 2 of these. Using two of these would be the more expensive option but would allow accent lighting and great shadow control, plus if I overlap the lights it may create a spot bright enough for a clam.

https://www.aquaillumination.com/products/prime

2. Aqua Illumination Hydra 32HD. cheaper option than two Prime 16's, as far as I can tell they are the same as far as features etc.

https://www.aquaillumination.com/products/hydra

3. JBJ low power LED hood. Concern here is two part, first it uses much smaller LED's which even with adequate wattage (which it doesn't have) smaller LED's mean less penetration. I think this hood is meant mainly for soft corals and zoa's. second is it is heinously low powered only 39 watts. 

4. Radion X15. Just read about this line and am currently reading up on it. Not sure if I'd want to go with the Pro or the Blue.

https://ecotechmarine.com/radion

Anyway I'm going to keep on reading the massive amount of info and wait and see if anyone has any thoughts!

I have the DIY abilities of a small rodent so DIY isn't much of an option for me. And I'm lazy.

Thanks for any thoughts in advance!

28g nano cube

Priorities: in order

Coral Health (SPS and LPS and zoas)

Appearance (want to see those colors POP!)

Fancy app controls, bells and whistles

Cost