Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

? for ppl with BioCube16 stock lighting

sadie

I have been slowly getting corals, but I noticed most of mine are on the sand bed and I'm running out of room.  I'm wondering what coral you have in the middle to top of your tank.  I'm not sure with this lighting if it is considered med light, high light etc, so research for coral is hard.  I don't have a par thing or a smart phone to get an app for par lighting.

If you could post some pictures or ideas that would be great!!  Thanks!

• Like 1

Lps and softies for sure won't have an issue with your lighting.

I'm sure you could do easy sps on the top closer to the light 

Lps: hammers, frogspawn, acan lords, blasto's, lepto's, 

Soft coral: leathers, ricordea mushroom, rhodactis or discosoma mushrooms

Sps: montipora digitata or monti cap

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Lps and softies for sure won't have an issue with your lighting.

I'm sure you could do easy sps on the top closer to the light 

Lps: hammers, frogspawn, acan lords, blasto's, lepto's, 

Soft coral: leathers, ricordea mushroom, rhodactis or discosoma mushrooms

Sps: montipora digitata or monti cap

thanks, I will start doing some research on those.  My LFS has a nice green ricordea. I have always put them on my sand bed.

I guess it leads me to another question of how to go about putting them on top of my rock.  In the past I have tried to wedge them in crevices and stuff to make sure they like it there, but they always get knocked over.  (not good)  I'm afraid if I just glue them where I want them and they don't like it- then what?

• Like 1

Clown, when I looked up the monti cap, they were mostly all the same.  But when I looked up the montiporoa digitata, there were very different kinds.  Does it matter?  Some were plating, some almost looked like plate corals, some looked like the birds nest coral.  Will any montipora coral work on top?

And how do they do out of water?  I'm thinking that if they are on top of my rock, with a little bit of growth, when I do a WC, parts of them might be out of the water.  Is this a concern?

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, sadie said:

Clown, when I looked up the monti cap, they were mostly all the same.  But when I looked up the montiporoa digitata, there were very different kinds.  Does it matter?  Some were plating, some almost looked like plate corals, some looked like the birds nest coral.  Will any montipora coral work on top?

And how do they do out of water?  I'm thinking that if they are on top of my rock, with a little bit of growth, when I do a WC, parts of them might be out of the water.  Is this a concern?

Corals should be fine with limited exposure to air. My Hammers are exposed during water change and they seem to be fine

• Thanks 1

I just started my biocube in February. I recently got some corals through the world wide corals clube box which is like a coral subscription box. I got some awesome pieces, a couple sps corals. One of my favorite is the Sour Apple Porites, which requires a bit of light. I have it right at the top of my rock work, closest to the light.it seems to be doing great, polys always extended and super colorful. Towards the middle, I have a pocillopora which is also doing great and has great polyp extension. I also have some zoas at the bottom. I'm impressed with the lighting so far. I have only had these for about 2 weeks, but I am hopeful they will doing great! I am planning on gluing these down to rockwork after watching them a little longer to make sure it can handle the sps. 

IMG_20200424_193827.jpg

IMG_20200424_193820.jpg

IMG_20200428_194443.jpg

• Like 1

those are nice looking coral Nano!  I like that first one.  I have placed my coral like you have to see if they like it, but I always find them on the sand bed (not happy) the next morning.  I lost a nice candy cane like that.  It face planted on a rock below it.  ☹️  

Do you have the 16 gal?

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, sadie said:

those are nice looking coral Nano!  I like that first one.  I have placed my coral like you have to see if they like it, but I always find them on the sand bed (not happy) the next morning.  I lost a nice candy cane like that.  It face planted on a rock below it.  ☹️  

Do you have the 16 gal?

Ahh luckily mine have not taken a tumble. I only have 2 fish that pretty much just hide behind the rock work all day and don't bother anything lol. Yeah it's the 16gallon led biocube. This was when I was cycling before I added any livestock. 

IMG_20200302_174543.jpg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, sadie said:

Monti caps are the plates, digitata look like sticks, and then there are encrusting monti's.

As for placement, most use a gel crazy glue which easily can be popped off if the coral needs moving.

Corals are often out of water, during low tide for hours.

Same thing occurs with waterchanges. Nothing bad happens to them

• Like 3