inTank Media Baskets

Kessil a80

Ap954

SomnbaReefs
48 minutes ago, RedCrow said:

There actually hasn’t been much growth in the last six hours since you joined 🤷🏼‍♂️

Not true. My corals are reacting positively to the extra 30w of LED light I have available. 

In nine months your torches haven't event grown new tentacles and you cannot frag your zoas for a profit. That is unimpressive. 

• Haha 1
SomnbaReefs
10 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

Chaeto stop growing ? 

Yes. I haven't even scraped the glass in my tank in weeks because the Kessil is such a lacklustre light for my current set up.

I came on here to voice my experience with this light and I've been attacked by someone who can't grow a polyp of zoas in 9 months (RedCrow)

Take care everyone! There are much better reefs for me to be apart of.

1 minute ago, SomnbaReefs said:

Yes. I haven't even scraped the glass in my tank in weeks because the Kessil is such a lacklustre light for my current set up.

I came on here to voice my experience with this light and I've been attacked by someone who can't grow a polyp of zoas in 9 months (RedCrow)

Take care everyone! There are much better reefs for me to be apart of.

I still have questions tho ... 

• Like 1
SomnbaReefs
Just now, jbb_00 said:

I still have questions tho ... 

We all do. I have frags to grow out and sell and mushrooms to bounce. I remember why I left this forum 10 years ago for people like Melev and Reef Builders. 

11 minutes ago, SomnbaReefs said:

That's why I went so long before I decided to take action! I believed in the Kessil and was waiting for an adjustment period. 

It's good to share information

I added the A80 to my current build, a little 5G Euphyllia garden. Got a random monti in there too. Have a look and follow along if you like

It's maxing at 10% on both colour and intensity at the moment but I put it in on Monday. Plus a bugger of a detritus problem 😁

2 minutes ago, SomnbaReefs said:

In nine months your torches haven't event grown new tentacles and you cannot frag your zoas for a profit. That is unimpressive. 

If you’d read through my thread you’d see that I haven’t posted any full tank shots since switching to the Kessil. So how do you know about my growth? 

2 minutes ago, SomnbaReefs said:

No, you made an account to knock a product that is generally liked, and I pointed out that what you were saying is untrue. Sorry I didn’t let you make shit up 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 1
Cannedfish

2-6 polyps per colony per week! Dang, that’s ludicrous growth! What light was that under?! That’s insane for just a five gallon!

• Like 1
Just now, SomnbaReefs said:

We all do. I have frags to grow out and sell and mushrooms to bounce. I remember why I left this forum 10 years ago for people like Melev and Reef Builders. 

My concern is that while you may be correct about this light not being good enough for your specific needs,  it looks like something else may be going on.  

Your first recorded issue was 3 days after adding the kessil. That is not enough time for a light to cause issues in your tank. 

People have done complete blackouts longer than that without losing coral. 

• Like 4
22 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

My concern is that while you may be correct about this light not being good enough for your specific needs,  it looks like something else may be going on.  

Your first recorded issue was 3 days after adding the kessil. That is not enough time for a light to cause issues in your tank. 

People have done complete blackouts longer than that without losing coral. 

My guess is LED burn switching to it without acclimation. That’s the only way the tank could go downhill so fast after the switch (if it’s lighting-related) 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, RedCrow said:

My guess is LED burn switching to it without acclimation. That’s the only way the tank could go downhill so fast after the switch (if it’s lighting-related) 

Too, the reefbrite 50/50 is a full length led bar with multiple diodes spread out,  its not a clustered laser beam like the kessil. 

I have a reefbrite 50/50 , and a pure actinic strip from them and the light spread is much different than my kessils . 

I'm also curious to the settings on each light.  

The 50/50 has 5 power settings i belive (will have to check mine) 

• Like 2
On 5/7/2020 at 6:08 PM, SomnbaReefs said:

I'm still deciding if I want to participate in this forum after my first experience with RedCrow. 

Don't let someone's antisocial behavior scare you off from participating.

A) People are generally real people here and thus are allowed to be moody once in a while.  😉

B) If someone really is intolerable, then click on their username or avatar and then click the little gear/menu drop-down.....then click Ignore User.  There are various levels of "ignorement" depending on your needs.

I don't have many folks on my list, but there are some.  It's a good tool.  👍

• Like 1
On 5/7/2020 at 1:17 PM, SomnbaReefs said:

I have it at 6" above the water of my Fluval Spec V

You have it pretty high up for such a small tank....cutting the distance by half will about double the intensity on the tank.  👀

Have you used a lux or PAR meter or are you guessing about your light levels?   I can't recommend strongly enough against guessing.  (And a lux meter is almost stupidly cheap....under $20.)

Do you have a thread open for all the issues you mentioned?  There are probably other problems compounding any potential lack of light.

• Like 1
On 5/5/2020 at 8:39 PM, jbb_00 said:

I run 2 a160 on a 36x20x21 and really need a third , or jump to having 2  360x

I'd say either should be fine on that tank.  Most corals will be fine with a pair of 160's....but if you want a higher light tank for something like clams, then opting for three 160's or a pair of 360's might be a good idea.

How far off the water are your 160's though?  Should be no more than 5-6"...less would be OK.  (My 360's are about 4" off the water on my 125 Gallon....similar height and width as your tank.)

On 5/7/2020 at 6:08 PM, SomnbaReefs said:

I have a photo album on my phone for reference as well,

Thank you for the details.  What are the dimensions on that tank?

You mentioned a log earlier...have you been testing anything?  

That's what I was hoping to see – test numbers.

On 5/7/2020 at 6:22 PM, SomnbaReefs said:

Those are all sub 150 par corals. LOL

Doesn't seem like a topic with a lot of humor value...not sure what you're laughing at.  

Most corals are sub-150 PAR corals.  

Check out Dana Riddle's research papers on the topic over the last 5 years or so....mostly over at the Advanced Aquarist archive on reefs.com, but he's presented the info at MACNA too, among other places.  (He's on R2R with some of this info as well.)

(Sorry for the out of order replies...)

3 hours ago, mcarroll said:

I'd say either should be fine on that tank.  Most corals will be fine with a pair of 160's....but if you want a higher light tank for something like clams, then opting for three 160's or a pair of 360's might be a good idea.

How far off the water are your 160's though?  Should be no more than 5-6"...less would be OK.  (My 360's are about 4" off the water on my 125 Gallon....similar height and width as your tank.)

Right now they are 5.5" off of the water. They were just recently added to the tank so I will give them a bit to see how things adjust . If needed I will add a third in the center . 

• Like 1