Coral Vue Hydros

Is my toadstool dead

roblox84

Any way of telling if this toadstool is dead? I finished cycling my tank last week, through this guy in over the weekend and the polyps extended one day and then remained closed ever since. It has looked like this since Sunday or Monday.

20200428_194458.jpg

• Like 1
On 4/28/2020 at 7:55 PM, debbeach13 said:

Sometime they have no polyp extension. Let it settle in a few days

How long can it stay closed? It's still not extending polyps, is it normal for new toadstools to stay closed up for so long?

• Like 1
kimberbee
1 minute ago, roblox84 said:

How long can it stay closed? It's still not extending polyps, is it normal for new toadstools to stay closed up for so long?

They stay closed when the shed too. I would try not to worry about it too much yet. Give it at least a week. If it starts to discolor or melt/get gooey. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 5/3/2020 at 4:36 PM, Tired said:

If it's not completely melted, it's not dead. 

Here's an updated pic on the toadstool, you can see the bottom part of the stalk is flaking off. Is it just shedding?

Fyi... It still hasn't attached to a rock, it's just sort of sitting there between those 2 rocks.

So i put my toadstool into my other tank (5g pico) and it literally opened up in a few hours after being closed for 2 weeks in my brand new 20g, what gives? What could be so bad in my 20g which is brand new BTW that it doesn't want to open?

20200512_134209.jpg

Could be lighting since you didn't acclimate it on the bottom. Could be because the tank is new and hobby test kits can only do so much. 

1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

Could be lighting since you didn't acclimate it on the bottom. Could be because the tank is new and hobby test kits can only do so much. 

I can't see it being lighting as the AI Prime in that 5 gallon is at 80% whereas the Kessil in my 20g was probably at like 25-40%. I can definitely see the tank being so new that the coral for whatever reason just doesn't like it.

8 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

At least it is happy and open now. So good move!

Yeah I'm happy it wasn't 25 bucks down the drain. I will probably keep it in my 5g and buy another a few months down the road to try again in my 20g.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 hour ago, debbeach13 said:

Toadstools drop babies. Mine is around 2 and has produced at least 5 babies that dropped and a few under the mother.

Toadstools drop babies?? I’ve had my toadstool for almost 2 years now and it hasn’t dropped any babies yet. He’s about 3 inches across. I didn’t think they could do that?

20 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Toadstools drop babies?? I’ve had my toadstool for almost 2 years now and it hasn’t dropped any babies yet. He’s about 3 inches across. I didn’t think they could do that?

I don't know about "dropping" babies, but I had one that grew across 2 rocks and it got too big for my tank.  I slowly used my finger to push it off one rock so I could trade it in.  A while later I had 2 little babies where the big one grew, but I think it was just some pieces that were left behind that grew.

DISQUALIFIED-QQ

My current fluffball of a leather coral started off as a shriveled up p***s of a coral. After about a month or so it's gotten larger. hue.

This first link is when I first acquired a big load of coral. You can see on Tuesday it was quite unhappy. By Friday, it got acclimated, but not anywhere near to what it's like right now.

The first photo. Same colony, just expanded some more. I'd say it's about a 3-4" colony now. It's hosting a frostbite clown every few time throughout the day.

So moral of the story, Be patient. Don't give up on the coral.

whisnantrider

Is it possible you have stay voltage in the new tank? I have had this in a previous tank and my leathers seemed particularly sensitive to it. 

41 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Yup they do both. Phone is charging but I will post pictures 

Never knew that. My old toadstool was 5 years old and never dropped any "babies".

1 hour ago, whisnantrider said:

Is it possible you have stay voltage in the new tank? I have had this in a previous tank and my leathers seemed particularly sensitive to it. 

I'm not sure, my volt meter broke so I will have to see if I can borrow and check. Unless I can use one of those non contact voltage testers?

Could there be an issue with the insta-set I used when super gluing the rock together? I've done several water changes since then but the insta set was oily and maybe is still leaching into the water?

4 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Yah mine will basically start forming lines across it and split itself.

• Like 1