SaltCritters.com

What is your favorite frozen food?

SaltyBuddha

SaltyBuddha

I'm starting to really move away from pellets/flakes and I am loving Reef Nutrition Mysis-Feast and Oyster-Feast. They are super easy to use and I can be very consistent with measurements. 

I've used Rods in the past, but Reef Nutrition is so much easier/consistent. 

What is your favorite frozen foods? Anything you do to prep it to make it more consistent or easier?

SaltyBuddha
33 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I use omega one premium mysis. Kinda limited here with frozen options.

I like the new packaging, each cube is individually packaged.

FrozenMysisPouch4oz.png

I've had the cubed mysis before but my tanks aren't that big so I had to cut little pieces/slivers off of it.

Where are you at? 

Edit: Reef nutrition is selling through their website now and it says they ship to Canada if you ever wanted to try it out! (Checked your account 😎)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SaltyBuddha said:

I've had the cubed mysis before but my tanks aren't that big so I had to cut little pieces/slivers off of it.

Where are you at? 

Edit: Reef nutrition is selling through their website now and it says they ship to Canada if you ever wanted to try it out! (Checked your account 😎)

Thanks.

I wonder how it would get here in time to not defrost? Or the shipping costs.

I cut the small cubes too which is easier with the new packaging

. Another thing I have done is taken  a bunch of cubes, placed in ziploc bag and then broke up the pieces with a potato masher. Creates tiny pieces that are easy for nano feeding

• Like 3

I have been using LRS for a few months now.  Was using PE mysis and some others before. 

My clownfish never laid eggs until I started using LRS...it's good stuff.  

LRS and fresh live clams from the Asian market that I put in the freezer and then chop and feed.

I try to use high quality stuff. I do have some packaged mysis cubes and such for days I work and am in a hurry.

• Like 1
SaltyBuddha

I've never heard of LRS but it looks like good stuff!

I have some leftover Rods food. I think I might get a mini ice cube mold and make my own cubes with the rods food. The issue I was seeing was even the smaller cubes are still too big for my tanks - I think I am going to thaw the food, measure out food (1/8 tsp or something like that) and fill the rest of the cube with RODI. Then I have consistent and easily thawed food!

• Like 2
On 4/28/2020 at 2:41 PM, SaltyBuddha said:

I've never heard of LRS

On 4/28/2020 at 2:41 PM, SaltyBuddha said:

I have some leftover Rods food

Rod's was the original....LRS is a very good copy.  I wouldn't say one is better than the other IMO.  BOTH ARE GREAT.

Both are also processed though, which means everything is ground up.

When possible I like to feed unprocessed food items.  Less messy in general.

Depends what's available though.

Lately, I've been using the San Francisco Bay Brand "Saltwater Multipack".   Very nice!

• Like 2

Favourite frozen food would be a fresh assortment of marine molluscs from my local market. Frozen, grated, mixed with rodi into cubes. 

Pre prepared frozen I don't have a great choice, usually lucky if I can find both mysis and cyclopese at the same time. 

• Like 1
SaltyBuddha
17 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Rod's was the original....LRS is a very good copy.  I wouldn't say one is better than the other IMO.  BOTH ARE GREAT.

Both are also processed though, which means everything is ground up.

When possible I like to feed unprocessed food items.  Less messy in general.

Depends what's available though.

Lately, I've been using the San Francisco Bay Brand "Saltwater Multipack".   Very nice!

I didn't know that this multipack existed. Seems like a great combination of different types of food!

My rods food always has chunks of mysis, squid, seaweed, etc. so it isn't all chopped up. It definitely has lots of smaller food particles though. 

17 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Favourite frozen food would be a fresh assortment of marine molluscs from my local market. Frozen, grated, mixed with rodi into cubes. 

Pre prepared frozen I don't have a great choice, usually lucky if I can find both mysis and cyclopese at the same time. 

I see lots of people prepare their own from local markets - might have to give this a go at some point 

• Like 1
NaturallyKait

LRS here too. Sometimes I use some Hikari mysis, or I do keep some pellets on hand as a backup but I rarely use them. 

• Like 1

Can frozen food be safely thawed and refrozen, without risking any sort of contamination or nutrient degrading? I've been wanting to part out some cubes for awhile, but wasn't sure if it was safe. 

• Like 2
SaltyBuddha
37 minutes ago, Tired said:

Can frozen food be safely thawed and refrozen, without risking any sort of contamination or nutrient degrading? I've been wanting to part out some cubes for awhile, but wasn't sure if it was safe. 

I don't see why not. Don't let it stay thawed for hours but it won't spoil in 15 minutes. Only issue I see will be freezer burn 

Thrassian Atoll

Rods or hikari mysis

My fish absolutely hate the LRS.  Even the nano looks like chopped up clams to me and the chunks are huge.

FISHnChix

As far as frozen food I like chicken nuggets with sweet baby Ray's bbq..

Reef on folks 🤙.. Happy quarntenning 😊

• Haha 2
squamptonbc

I don't have much choice of brands Hikari and PE Mysis is about it, so I have no real experience with other brands.

I did like LRS a few years ago when it was available but nobody that I am aware of in western Canada sells it anymore.

squamptonbc
On 4/27/2020 at 7:42 PM, Clown79 said:

Thanks.

I wonder how it would get here in time to not defrost? Or the shipping costs.

I cut the small cubes too which is easier with the new packaging

. Another thing I have done is taken  a bunch of cubes, placed in ziploc bag and then broke up the pieces with a potato masher. Creates tiny pieces that are easy for nano feeding

I was curious so did a mock order on reef nutrition website, they ship to Canada using Fedex next day international, so presumably use ice packs for cold foods, and dry ice for frozen but the shipping is almost $50 (my mock order had 4 items) and presumably its in US$ so $68 CAD or so just for the shipping.

I could only see such an order working if it was a large enough group order to bring per person shipping to realistic levels.

Shipping is why I never bought corals online much either, $50 seemed to be the typical shipping cost, so it just adds to much to the total to justify.

It's not so bad for shipping corals if you buy multiple things at once. If you get 8 coral frags, it's not that much per frag, and you can get stuff you might not be able to get in person. Some places have free shipping over a certain price. SaltCritters shipping is $25, which is nice. 

But yeah, for frozen food shipping to be viable, you'd want to be ordering it in bulk. $50 shipping isn't so bad if you've ordered 20 things of food. 

1 hour ago, squamptonbc said:

I was curious so did a mock order on reef nutrition website, they ship to Canada using Fedex next day international, so presumably use ice packs for cold foods, and dry ice for frozen but the shipping is almost $50 (my mock order had 4 items) and presumably its in US$ so $68 CAD or so just for the shipping.

I could only see such an order working if it was a large enough group order to bring per person shipping to realistic levels.

Shipping is why I never bought corals online much either, $50 seemed to be the typical shipping cost, so it just adds to much to the total to justify.

Ya that's just way too much for me.

I can buy a coral or 2 with that😁

squamptonbc
19 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Ya that's just way too much for me.

I can buy a coral or 2 with that😁

No doubt. I used to order from fragbox sometimes they seemed to have the most reasonable shipping $34 to BC, where other places were $50+ and fragbox didn't add a box charge on top either like some places do, but 99% of my corals came from J&L as I like to be able to see in person before buying, and I liked to support local stores as much as possible.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, squamptonbc said:

No doubt. I used to order from fragbox sometimes they seemed to have the most reasonable shipping $34 to BC, where other places were $50+ and fragbox didn't add a box charge on top either like some places do, but 99% of my corals came from J&L as I like to be able to see in person before buying, and I liked to support local stores as much as possible.

I really don't like ordering livestock online, much prefer in store shopping too