Pod Your Reef

Did I do this right? Kessil Intensity

Daniel91

Hello,

I just bought a second A80 to avoid slight shadowing from running just one over my IM20.

Now, fully set up, both placed as shown below, I decided to start these babies at about 45% intensity - the one ran at 85% before.

I don’t want to overdo it, but I also don’t want to under do it - I plan to do 5% weekly increases, which means that it will take 11 weeks to reach 100%. Thoughts?

C9666686-C2C1-40C9-9C26-28E424398C7A.jpeg

11 hours ago, Daniel91 said:

I plan to do 5% weekly increases

Working in percentages is about meaningless.   How much light is 1%??  😉

If you want to be careful, I'd suggest getting a light meter...a PAR meter or lux meter is fine.  (Lux is WAY cheaper....$7 and up.)

I'd be comfortable going up 2500 lux per week.

Honestly though, on a tank that deep with lights that small, it's not likely that you're upping the intensity much by adding the second A80.

More likely you're spreading out the same intensity over more of the tank.   A lux meter would also be able to confirm this for you...just get some readings under a single light and compare them to similar readings under dual lights.   Maybe you don't have to worry about acclimating at all or maybe you don't have to do it so long....but you're stuck guessing presently.  

I hate guessing about lighting.....it's one of the only ways I've managed to kill corals in the last 10+ years.

• Like 1