inTank Media Baskets

Skimmer woes

sublunary

I'm attempting to use a skimmer for the first time, on my first non-nano tank.  It's a Skimz Octo.  

The recommended water depth is 7 to 9 inches.  I've got it at seven.  It will bubble and foam nicely, though it doesn't make it up to the collection cup.  Being the paranoid person I am, the first few times I tried to get it going, I watched it for a while, decided something was wrong, and turned it off for a few days.

Yesterday I finally decided to just let it run and see if it would sort itself out.  After about 15 minutes, the pump shuts itself off.  Then 5 or ten minutes later will come on again.  Then off again some time later.  I can't find anything about this online.  I'm not even completely sure it's not just how skimmers work. 

Does anyone know if this is a sign of something fixable?  A broken pump? Overheating?

I've tried it plugged into the Apex EB8 and 2 different wall outlets, so I'm sure the problem is occurring at is the pump, not the outlet. 

Thanks in advance!

Yeah, just checked.  Body has a 2 year warranty, pump only one year.  The replacement pump costs as much as I spent on the whole skimmer, and this model has been discontinued.  Guess I know why I got such a good price on it!

So, anyone know if you can replace a skimmer pump with a pump of a different brand?  What specs do I compare to know I'm getting a compatible pump?

Should be able to use a different pump as long as fittings match up.  I would just match the gph.  Also, if it's a needle wheel pump you'll need to make sure to utilize that in the new pump.

I just did a google search on that skimmer.  Does it use the messner pump?  Those are supposed to be high quality so surprised it's gone bad.  

Yeah, it says Messner ASP 1500 needlewheel.   I'd never heard of them, and most of the mentions I see online are companies describing them as "refined" and "german", which doesn't tell me anything about real life quality. lol

On 4/26/2020 at 11:23 AM, sublunary said:

Thanks.  I'll look into the warranty.  I bought this at like the end of 2018?  And it sat around for a while. 

I like dling's suggestion but I'd go a little further.

Don't worry about the warranty check until you've taken it all apart, cleaned it, let it dry out COMPLETELY.  Then observe for any calcium buildup in the pump or on the impeller.  Thin buildups will be invisible when wet, but stark-white when dried out....and it only takes a little to make an impeller act up.  Could also be something like sand or detritus in there doing the same thing.  (There's very little space to begin with in an impeller well...use a flashlight if needed to get a good look.)

• Like 1
sublunary

Thanks.  I did give it a thorough soak and clean out, but still same issue with it cycling on and off.   I think it's done for. 

Sorry to hear that. Sounds like a shinny new shimmer pump is needed.

Hopefully it wont cost too much and you will up and running soon.