Coral Vue Hydros

Tunze 9001 DC versus AquaMaxx HOB-1.5 skimmers

Gakarl100

Debating which one.  I can fit the Tunze in my sump, I also like the DC controller.  However will just take up a lot of my sump area.  I do have a ATO I know people always comment on making sure you have a ATO with in sump skimmers.  The Aquamaxx just has a good ratings and read alot of positive reviews just will have to look at it hanging off the back.  However function over form sometimes pays off...  Thoughts?

Tunze Comline DOC DC Protein Skimmer 9001

or 

AquaMaxx HOB-1.5 Hang-On-Back Protein Skimmer w/ Bubble Stopper

Apples to oranges

The HOB 1.5 will skim better and more dark but it's huge and is a HOB

Tunze 9001 is great for small spaces and small tanks.  Tea like skimmate in the cup, dark heavy stuff in the neck.

The DC controller is pointless go with AC.  The DC model was made for countries with shitty voltage.  DC pumps do not last as long.

Without knowing the tank size if you want to look at a HOB then 1.5.  If you want something hidden then 9001.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, StevieT said:

Apples to oranges

The HOB 1.5 will skim better and more dark but it's huge and is a HOB

Tunze 9001 is great for small spaces and small tanks.  Tea like skimmate in the cup, dark heavy stuff in the neck.

The DC controller is pointless go with AC.  The DC model was made for countries with shitty voltage.  DC pumps do not last as long.

Without knowing the tank size if you want to look at a HOB then 1.5.  If you want something hidden then 9001.

18 gallon cvue

If you are able to control the flow rate with the DC pump then it is useful as you can adjust air intake, if not then I would go with the AC. 

2 minutes ago, William said:

If you are able to control the flow rate with the DC pump then it is useful as you can adjust air intake, if not then I would go with the AC. 

That’s what I liked was that external controller. 

On 4/22/2020 at 10:33 PM, Gakarl100 said:

Debating which one.  I can fit the Tunze in my sump, I also like the DC controller.  However will just take up a lot of my sump area.  I do have a ATO I know people always comment on making sure you have a ATO with in sump skimmers.  The Aquamaxx just has a good ratings and read alot of positive reviews just will have to look at it hanging off the back.  However function over form sometimes pays off...  Thoughts?

Tunze Comline DOC DC Protein Skimmer 9001

or 

AquaMaxx HOB-1.5 Hang-On-Back Protein Skimmer w/ Bubble Stopper

You're comparing Tunze's smallest nano skimmer (4.3” x 2.5” x 8.5”) with a FRIGGIN' HUGE full sized HOB skimmer (7.5 x W 3.5 x H 17 Inch), BTW.  The Tunze 9004 would be a better comparison.....don't know if the other brand has a comparable skimmer to the 9001.

IMO the Tunze "wins" hands-down, but that's assuming the 9001 is the right model for your tank.

How big is the tank?  How big is the sump?

Gakarl100
On 4/27/2020 at 8:15 PM, mcarroll said:

You're comparing Tunze's smallest nano skimmer (4.3” x 2.5” x 8.5”) with a FRIGGIN' HUGE full sized HOB skimmer (7.5 x W 3.5 x H 17 Inch), BTW.  The Tunze 9004 would be a better comparison.....don't know if the other brand has a comparable skimmer to the 9001.

IMO the Tunze "wins" hands-down, but that's assuming the 9001 is the right model for your tank.

How big is the tank?  How big is the sump?

mentioned above, 18 gallons.  I went with the 9001 regular model.  Its working great.

• Like 1