ReefCleaners.org

20 gal Long w/AI PRIME 16HD

Evilmandeadman07

Evilmandeadman07

i have one coming in today i just needed to know how well its been for a 20gal long Mixed reef tank? I only just started cycling since March 2020, Please post a pic of ur tank in the comments 

lovely_trequartista

I don't have a 20g Long but I have a 25g that measures 23.5 inches long. 

This is my first aquarium, and I only just recently added a second AI Prime HD to my set up so I don't have much insight to offer. 

Replying because I literally just messaged another member yesterday about his experience running two AI Prime HD on his 20g Fusion Pro.

He recommended the two lights instead of one due to the better spread! 

I added water to my tank on 11/29/20 so still in its infancy. Most of my corals seemed happy with the single AI Prime but only my the Euphyllia seemed to really be growing at a fast rate (and a Xenia). A Duncan frag actually grew pretty well too.  

I started adding a couple of SPS (Montipora) and a few more varied LPS recently, so I added the second AI Prime. We'll see how it goes. 

Attached a couple of full tank shots below. 

9896EA04-37DA-45E6-A567-F594B6C1E9EA.jpeg

F818A8F0-8771-4801-94D7-4970C50219F3.jpeg

• Like 1

I think with just one light you would be better off with a cube style tank, that way you could set the height to get the proper spread and then the power to get the proper light levels where you want them.

That being said it's plenty of power, I have a 10G cube which measures about 13"x13" and I'm running it at about 1/4 power because I'm keeping LPS and they look their best and expand their best at lower light levels.  In my system I could easily light for SPS and great growth rates if I wanted to.

For a 20 Long you could start off with one in the middle, then mostly put coral in the center until that gets too full and you want to upgrade.  

Whiskey

• 6 months later...