ReefCleaners.org

Could it really be cycled?

Picogoby

Hi all,

my tank is converting 2ppm ammonia in to nitrate in around 19hrs, could it really be cycled already?

the reason I ask is as follows:

1) the tank was only set up 4 days ago.

2) approx 40% of the rock was well cured for close to 8 weeks in another tank (the other 60%) is dry life rock.

3) I have used Caribsea live sand.

4) a small bag of cured marine pure pellets have been added to the sump.

5) bottle of fritz and DR Tim’s also added after 4hrs of start up.

I dosed up to 2ppm of ammonia on Sunday and 24hrs later I had a small nitrite reading and an increased nitrate reading.

i dosed again about 19hrs ago and tested just now to have a 0ppm (api test kit) reading and another increase in nitrate with no reading on the nitrite.

should I expect another mini cycle coming my way or do you think it’s ready for a CUC and the first small fish?

If you pre cycled most of the rocks, then yes it can go quickly.

Life rock has bacteria in it as well.

I've transferred tanks using the liverock in the previous tanks and new liferock and had 0 spike in ammonia. Tanks continued running as normal.

With all the steps you've taken, its unlikely to get a long cycle 

• Like 3
47 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

If you pre cycled most of the rocks, then yes it can go quickly.

Life rock has bacteria in it as well.

I've transferred tanks using the liverock in the previous tanks and new liferock and had 0 spike in ammonia. Tanks continued running as normal.

With all the steps you've taken, its unlikely to get a long cycle 

THANK YOU!

I honestly thought that was the case, but didn’t want to start adding fish and coral, if a noticeable mini cycle was on the way.

corals especially are too expensive to “test” a tank with.

i will add the first fish (2 perc’s) and a small CUC (will add a tiny CUC in tomorrow) this weekend with my little daughter. Then wait 2-3 weeks before adding in the first more forgiving Monti cap corals.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Picogoby said:

THANK YOU!

I honestly thought that was the case, but didn’t want to start adding fish and coral, if a noticeable mini cycle was on the way.

corals especially are too expensive to “test” a tank with.

i will add the first fish (2 perc’s) and a small CUC (will add a tiny CUC in tomorrow) this weekend with my little daughter. Then wait 2-3 weeks before adding in the first more forgiving Monti cap corals.

If you are worried, wait a week and keep testing

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, cycled live rock will do that. Once you have a chunk of bacteria in there, they really want to get spreading, and sometimes there's a lot of it already present anyway. Heck, with enough rock, you can cycle a tank instantly. 

• Thanks 1

I am new to this whole “dead rock” thing. In my reefing heyday it was lots of live rock and live sand..... wait a few days and bingo!

Thank you for all the replies, just wanted to be sure........... if my daughters first fish where to die due to a cycle issue, I think I would be quick to follow them! 🤣

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Picogoby said:

I am new to this whole “dead rock” thing. In my reefing heyday it was lots of live rock and live sand..... wait a few days and bingo!

Thank you for all the replies, just wanted to be sure........... if my daughters first fish where to die due to a cycle issue, I think I would be quick to follow them! 🤣

How's everyone holding up? Is your Mrs unfurloughed yet? 

17 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

How's everyone holding up? Is your Mrs unfurloughed yet? 

They furloughed about 70% of the staff in her company (construction), but as she is the technical director for the homes division she is still working with a 10% voluntary pay cut.

I am still working full time as I work in the transport sector and we are legally obliged to keep a limited service going by the DFT.

The little one is still able to go to the child minder 3 days a week (I am classed as a key worker), but she can not understand why she can’t play with her friends. 
how about you? Are your sites still open?

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, Picogoby said:

They furloughed about 70% of the staff in her company (construction), but as she is the technical director for the homes division she is still working with a 10% voluntary pay cut.

I am still working full time as I work in the transport sector and we are legally obliged to keep a limited service going by the DFT.

The little one is still able to go to the child minder 3 days a week (I am classed as a key worker), but she can not understand why she can’t play with her friends. 
how about you? Are your sites still open?

Been running a skeleton crew to get the Completions that we sold this month. Expected hbf score to be so low regardless of issues. We're re opening as of Monday with everyone off furlough and working from home for a week if they can. Aim to fully re open 4th May I think