Top Shelf Aquatics

Lighting Suggestions.

Redreidy

Hi All, 

Any lighting suggestions for a 16 Gal tank. I would like to have corals in the future an I just have a T5 tube at the moment. 

Ideally I would like to spend under £200 pounds, I would also like to be able to configure the settings to have different types of light during the course of the day. My tank currently has a lid on it so I want to remove this add an acrylic sheet and then a light above this. 

Thanks in advance for the suggestions. 

6 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Oh in the UK. How wide is your tank? 

I been thinking abut using the Orphek Or2 strip lights, they're a T5 LED replacement and come in day reef plus and blue plus, depending on length are 150-200.

I like that idea! Maybe just one or two to supplement the T5’s

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Oh in the UK. How wide is your tank? 

I been thinking abut using the Orphek Or2 strip lights, they're a T5 LED replacement and come in day reef plus and blue plus, depending on length are 150-200.

The tank dimensions are 22x12x14 inches, are these programmable?

12 hours ago, Clown79 said:

An ai Prime would be a great choice. 

For sure just slightly to expensive for me by the time you have bought the mount it would be pushing £250 here in the UK.  I guess I would be looking at something cheaper unfortunately.

4 minutes ago, Redreidy said:

The tank dimensions are 22x12x14 inches, are these programmable?

For sure just slightly to expensive for me by the time you have bought the mount it would be pushing £250 here in the UK.  I guess I would be looking at something cheaper unfortunately.

Straight on/off

1 minute ago, Ratvan said:

Straight on/off

Ahh cool, perhaps its not possible within my budget but I have seen some tanks that go through the whole sunrise, daytime, sunset, twilight routine on a timer and I really want that - may have to save up some more!

5 minutes ago, Redreidy said:

Ahh cool, perhaps its not possible within my budget but I have seen some tanks that go through the whole sunrise, daytime, sunset, twilight routine on a timer and I really want that - may have to save up some more!

Cheapest would be AI Prime, Kessil A80 but you'd need the extra controller, together think that's near 250. TMC iLumenAir 600 but not played with those

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Redreidy said:

How about an aquaray controller from TMC (£70 complete aquatics) with one aquaray/beam strip ( again £70 from complete aquatics)then you can add another later. Keep your one T5 to supplement day light on a standard timer. As your tank is under 15” tall you should be ok with softies and LPS with this set up!

I have used these in the past (long time ago and they have been improved since then) I had 6 above a 3ft long, 15” high and wide tank. Had just LPS and a few softies. Did really well for a good couple of years!

• Like 1
On 4/22/2020 at 10:32 AM, Redreidy said:

The tank dimensions are 22x12x14 inches

Do you have access to Current USA lights there?  Not entirely dissimilar to the Orphek strips but they come with a sunrise/sunset controller.

What does your LFS carry?

• 2 weeks later...

So I am still mulling this over. 

I came across these in my pondering. 

https://fluvalaquatics.com/uk/product/marine-nano-bluetooth-led/

It has the programmable setting that I am looking for but they are not really made for a 16gal tank and at 20W they aren't particularly powerful. But at £80-90 pound each I could potentially look at getting two. Would two of these provide enough light to a selection of Corals?  

2 hours ago, Redreidy said:

So I am still mulling this over. 

I came across these in my pondering. 

https://fluvalaquatics.com/uk/product/marine-nano-bluetooth-led/

It has the programmable setting that I am looking for but they are not really made for a 16gal tank and at 20W they aren't particularly powerful. But at £80-90 pound each I could potentially look at getting two. Would two of these provide enough light to a selection of Corals?  

TMC aquaray are far cheaper and 100x better for the same price!

2x aquaray £140 plus basic controller with timings fade etc £70

• Like 2