Cultivated Reef

Minibow Update

smoothlarryhughes

smoothlarryhughes

Here are some updated pictures of my minibow. I have quite a few corals but all are very small so the rocks are not covered. What does everyone think?

I have an

AC500 HOB fuge (provides all flow)

2 32 watt retros

14 lbs. LR approximately

10 lbs. LS

DIY moonlights

Oceanic Salt

Here are pics of my corals.

Full Tank

tank2.jpg

Ric

ric.jpg

Zoos

zoos1.jpg

Zoos2

zoos2.jpg

Zoos3

zoos3.jpg

Zoos4

zoos4.jpg

smoothlarryhughes

Zoos5

zoos5.jpg

Goniopora

goniopor.jpg

Star Polyps

star.jpg

Not Sure?

notsure.jpg

NotSure2

notsure2.jpg

Is this a leather?

leather.jpg

Colt Coral I think

colt.jpg

Candy

candy.jpg

Featherduster with snail in front of it.

feather.jpg

smoothlarryhughes

Whenever I look at everyone else's tank I always think mine looks like crap...anyone else ever get that feeling? Also How long til my corals will grow in and cover everything?

hey smoothlarryhughes great tank. I'm leaning towards a setup like yours. can you tell what type of light used, and how did you hook up a moonlight, and did all fist in the stock hood, again great looking tank.

c

:o

smoothlarryhughes

i have a diy hood, and it has 2 32 watt retros and the moonlight in it. I got some car led lights from target that has been listed on this site.

did you have to slow the gph on the ac500? Did you mod the ac500 to make it a refugium?What fish and inverts? Do you dose anything?

Nice tank, I hope mine is like that someday!

smoothlarryhughes

I don't dose anything...i've been trying to find some information on that...but I just got a calcium test kit and it seems my calcium is at 480ppm just using the oceanic salt. I took the black ring off the intake tube and it slowed the flow down drastically. I did make it a fuge. I have 2 ocellaris clowns, 2 hermits, 2 astrea snails, 1 margarita, 2 cerith, about 10 nassarius snails under the sand.

audiocontrol

Ive been getting high calcium levels too with the oceanic salt, but all my corals seem to love the stuff. Used Reef Crystals and Instant Ocean for 2 years. Much better than Instant Ocean in my opinion.

Tank looks great. I've got a 5 gallon bow that I've been thinking about converting to a nano reef, but right now it houses crickets for my lizard and scorpion to eat. The "is this a leather" pic looks like a toadstool leather to me.

notsure2 looks like pocillipora, and the Is this a leather? is a baby toadstool

great looking tank! and btw, how small is that clown?!?! its a 7 gallon tank and the clown looks like its in a 30 gallon haha

smoothlarryhughes

There are 2 clowns...they are both small, but the one on the right is real tiny...the one on the left is getting to be an ok size.

smoothlarryhughes

I already had the 2 50/50's in there. I wanna go with the one 10000 K and the one dual actinic...this way I can turn just the actinic's on if I want to...and the person on here who has had those bulbs...forget who it was...said that it gives a better look. i haven't gotten around to ordering the bulbs yet though.

ok thanks, I'm going to use your setup for my tank, in hopes of my future corals looking that good. I saw you asked how long it might take for the corals to grow in, I'd say they'll have grown a lot in a month, and in around half a year they will have grown in, but that's advise from someone who is only relying on info from books. if you have test results for nitrite, nitrate, ammonia, ph, and salinity I would love it if you would post them. what temp do you keep your tank at?

Archived