Cultivated Reef

Replacing or Repairing LEDs

GHill762

I've got an old Reefbreeders LED fixture that has been running for a little over 6 years, some of the blue (or UV) leds lenses have browned/burnt. Can the lens on the LED be sanded or polished back to clear? or am I better off replacing those LEDs? if I need to replace them, how difficult is that for someone with no experience replacing LEDs and what's the best way to do that?

This is an OLD picture of the light, before the lenses started to brown.

16096647352_e9dbb554ab_k.jpg

any help appreciated!

actually - looking at it a little closer, most of the blue channel is not salvageable, they're still running and putting out light, but most of the lenses are toast and some actually look like they have inflated.. guess I'll look at either replacing the individual LEDs or replacing the entire unit.

You should be able to find replacement leds on eBay,or contact Logan at RB and see if he can get ahold of any. Ebay may have a better selection,and having different spectrums of uv's if you'd want to go that route. 

I would also just replace the optics all together,I wouldn't want to waste my time trying redo them. 

I don't think its hard I never have replaced those style but it should be as easy as melting the solder,prying the contact up,and doing the other side. The biggest part would be making sure you replace back in the correct orientation of neg and pos. 

• Like 1
On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 8:59 PM, Reefkid88 said:

You should be able to find replacement leds on eBay,or contact Logan at RB and see if he can get ahold of any. Ebay may have a better selection,and having different spectrums of uv's if you'd want to go that route. 

I would also just replace the optics all together,I wouldn't want to waste my time trying redo them. 

I don't think its hard I never have replaced those style but it should be as easy as melting the solder,prying the contact up,and doing the other side. The biggest part would be making sure you replace back in the correct orientation of neg and pos. 

it's not the optics, those haven't even been on it for a few years. it's the primary lens actually attached to the LEDs. I did contact RB, they don't stock replacement LEDs anymore but offered me money for some of the parts, and a discount on a new fixture. going to go that route. Decided it's time to update some of my hardware, spend some time and energy on cleaning the tank up and doing more water changes (which have been nearly non-existent for a couple years) and spend some money on fish/CUC/coral to get this tank looking good again.

• Like 1