SaltCritters.com

RBTA Help!!!

ChromeVyper

ChromeVyper

About a week ago me and my wife picked up a rose bubble tip Nem because it something weve had our eye on for a while. I know I'll probably get some flak for this but my tank is onky 3 months old and when it was cycling I used starter bacteria instead of the typical long method to jumpstart the process. I have coraline algae starting to pop up and all my levels are pristine says my LFS. 

It keeps going in shades spots and looks like crap.

What do you guys think is up based on these photos????

20200416_001653.thumb.jpg.705cc356ee1b3fc28607741a9e604e15.jpg20200416_001641.thumb.jpg.1dede79e0929fadaea6544a060fd2f6e.jpg

ChromeVyper

I have 1 Vipar spectra 165w LED light. It's about 12" above my tank. Have my blues at 50% and whites at 10%. If I keep my whites above 10% algae blooms. Tank is 36 gallons and about 25-30 inches deep.

It's tough to say but my first guess is it might be too much light.  Whenever I start up a tank, the first thing I do is rent or use a PAR meter. 

I had a reef breeders photon 12-16'' over the water and anything over 30% was too much light for LPS

1 hour ago, ChromeVyper said:

Do you think I should drop my blues down?

I don't have any experience with those specific lights.  Maybe someone else can chime in?  

I know that anemones can tend to move around a lot the 1st few weeks in a new tank.  Sometimes its light acclimation sometimes it's the flow or even the substrate.  It's hard to pinpoint exactly what's going on here.

ChromeVyper
15 minutes ago, Jmevox said:

I don't have any experience with those specific lights.  Maybe someone else can chime in?  

I know that anemones can tend to move around a lot the 1st few weeks in a new tank.  Sometimes its light acclimation sometimes it's the flow or even the substrate.  It's hard to pinpoint exactly what's going on here.

I tried feeding it about 15 min ago with no luck. So all of this behavior Is normal? My biggest fear is it biting the dust and wiping out my whole tank. Just want to do everything I can while playing things safe as well. 

Yeah i've heard of them moving around for 2-3 weeks before finding a spot they like.  I wouldn't try to feed it until it finds a spot and opens up.  Just keep an eye on it

ChromeVyper

So it moved itself off of the rock it was on this morning, and even though its upside down, this is the best it has looked since I got it. 20200416_132302.thumb.jpg.93e2736c62d097a42eb86d922998ba57.jpg