inTank Media Baskets

Those with Gyres, did you transition back to regular powerheads?

SonRK

With the quarantine, I've been spending a lot of time with my tank and wanting to improve it / keep up better husbandry (haven't been the most consistent with it throughout the years). I picked up the Maxspect Gyre when it first came out since it was getting a lot of hype since it would greatly reduce dead spots. 

Not quite sure I enjoy the gyre after the 3ish years I had it. Maintenance can be annoying and it's a bit finicky (mostly because it's actually quite overpowered for a 25 gallon tank, even though I have the smallest gyre running at like the lowest power settings). 

I bought a used Maxpect Gyre 130 for 100€, which was quite the deal where I live.

Can't get it to run silently over 40%, for some reason.

Maintenance is hell.

I think they have their place keeping detritus suspended without huge amounts of flow and without shoving it in one corner, but I can't see them as being the only kind of pumps in anything bigger than a nano.

I heard good things about the Coral Box RN-1. They're cheaply made, and inexpensive, nothing fancy. But I heard the kind of flow it creates has some of the benefits that are generally associated with gyres.

rn-1-3_orig.jpg

I have only had mine for about 6 months but i tend to like its flow pattern better than the MP40 I have on the tank. For a cube tank like mine, I don’t think it can be the only Powerhead.