Top Shelf Aquatics

Best Test Kits

sw26303

I'll leave feedback across various brands to others but I will say that I couldn't imagine going back to anything other than Hanna for Alk and Phos. 

I found Phos tests in particular are a pain in the ass across the board to try and read the colours on for low readings (at least for me)  and Alk tests for me are just a bit of a pain so I know I'd naturally avoid doing it as often as I should starting out. 

Yes Hanna are more expensive at the outlay but the convenience and accuracy provided you follow some basic recommendations on how to use them pays for itself 

I'm looking at the other testers they have at the moment because for me I prefer to look at a digital read out rather than trying to judge a shade. I know I'll end up sticking to some other testers where it makes sense to do it but I put a lot of weight in simplicity which I know will push me towards testing more often as I learn more about water chemistry. 

One kit I couldn't echo enough to be a waste for me was the Red Sea Marine care kit, it's a quality kit and it's fine now I'm done cycling and maintain fairly low numbers but if you plan on cycling with Ammonia and Beneficial Bacteria following the instructions of any of the bacteria providers you'll be off the charts from day one through to near the end of your cycle when you're looking for 0's. If you plan to cycle naturally though then it's not a bad product at all

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Doc_ said:

I'll leave feedback across various brands to others but I will say that I couldn't imagine going back to anything other than Hanna for Alk and Phos. 

I found Phos tests in particular are a pain in the ass across the board to try and read the colours on for low readings (at least for me)  and Alk tests for me are just a bit of a pain so I know I'd naturally avoid doing it as often as I should starting out. 

Yes Hanna are more expensive at the outlay but the convenience and accuracy provided you follow some basic recommendations on how to use them pays for itself 

I'm looking at the other testers they have at the moment because for me I prefer to look at a digital read out rather than trying to judge a shade. I know I'll end up sticking to some other testers where it makes sense to do it but I put a lot of weight in simplicity which I know will push me towards testing more often as I learn more about water chemistry. 

One kit I couldn't echo enough to be a waste for me was the Red Sea Marine care kit, it's a quality kit and it's fine now I'm done cycling and maintain fairly low numbers but if you plan on cycling with Ammonia and Beneficial Bacteria following the instructions of any of the bacteria providers you'll be off the charts from day one through to near the end of your cycle when you're looking for 0's. If you plan to cycle naturally though then it's not a bad product at all

I agree. I love the hanna checkers, I wish they had a nitrate tester!