Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Pothos plants in reef tank

Chriscar’s

Shouldn't hurt...only question is whether they will tolerate the high levels of sodium and chloride.  It's a weed though, so experiment!!

Chriscar’s

Thanks for reply 

I had no room for the the pothos in the back of my bio cube reef tank so drilled holes in plastic cup and secured it in the front of tank section in corner hopefully no problems and hopefully the nitrates go down

one of my questions would be if the water will circulate in the cup of if it will become stagnant?

Pothos is definitely not "most plants".  😉 

It's aggressive, durable and seems to grow under (IMO) extraordinary circumstances.  (i.e. clip a piece of bare stem 4-5" long – even a piece without buds or root nodules. Jam it in some potting soil or glass of tap water and chances are it will root, sprout leaves, grow and live there happily...yes, even just in plain tap water.)

No idea if Pothos is salt tolerant per se, but plenty of plants are, to varying degrees.  (There's a lot of marine coastline out there!!!)  

A quick google finds that folks apparently keep Pothos in brackish tanks, if that helps.

On 4/13/2020 at 11:39 PM, mcarroll said:

Pothos is definitely not "most plants".  😉 

It's aggressive, durable and seems to grow under (IMO) extraordinary circumstances.  (i.e. clip a piece of bare stem 4-5" long – even a piece without buds or root nodules. Jam it in some potting soil or glass of tap water and chances are it will root, sprout leaves, grow and live there happily...yes, even just in plain tap water.)

No idea if Pothos is salt tolerant per se, but plenty of plants are, to varying degrees.  (There's a lot of marine coastline out there!!!)  

A quick google finds that folks apparently keep Pothos in brackish tanks, if that helps.

My Google search showed inconclusive results and mostly people sharing their failures on forums, specifically in brackish....

Marine Coastlines will not have much salt in their soil. The only salt you get on the coast line is a light spray from the waves/wind, not enough to soak into the soil. Coastlines have some of the highest precipitation rates than anywhere else and they're precipitating freshwater water... not salt. 

Its simple osmosis and biology. 

• Like 2
  • 11 months later...

I put some (could be philodendron or pathos...can't tell) in my reef tank a few weeks ago.  Doesn't seem to be dying or growing.  

Pieces that I put in my freshwater tank have all sprouted roots and new leaves.