SaltCritters.com

Equipment guide for future upsizing

Hasted

This is probably near impossible to answer and probably has so many factors that everything will be different from person to person, but here goes nothing!

I have a 29g set up and running and happy as can be about it. My goal, however, is to upgrade to ~100g after a year or so.

With that in mind, everything I get from here on out, I would like to be able to use it for my upgrade. There are a lot of issues with that considering things for 29g and things for ~100g are very different (size, power, etc). 

Is there a resource out there that helps with this at all? If not, what would be your ideal way to go about gathering equipment slowly to use for the eventual upgrade? 

For example, I have been researching sumps and if I should add one to my system. Then I think, will any of this equipment I buy to do this be transferable? A skimmer for a 29g probably won't be enough for ~100g... etc.

Here is my equipment list as of right now. I think it is mostly up to date:

Tank: Basic 29g Aqueon tank - 30.25L x 12.5W x 18.75H
Stand: Imagitarium Brooklyn Metal Tank Stand - for 29 Gallon Aquariums (Modified slightly)
Lighting: AI Prime 16HD Reef Aquarium LED, Black

+ 12" Gooseneck for mounting 

Filter: Tidal 55 HOB Power Filter (Up to 55 Gal) - Seachem

+Media: Filter Floss & Seachem MatrixCarbon in media bags.
Powerhead: TWO Hydor Koralia Nano Circulation Pump/Powerhead 425gph

+Hydor Smart Wave Circulation Pump Controller

Starter Bacteria: Instant Ocean BIO-Spira (Oops, 75g!)

+Ammonia: Dr.Tim's AMMONIUM CHLORIDE FOR FISHLESS CYCLES

Test Kit: API Reef Master Test Kit

Salt: Instant Ocean 50g

+Using premixed RO/DI water from my LFS for now? (5g WC is easy to do after a stop in to LFS, have salt ready in case needed)

Refractometer: PetCo Refractometer

+ Calibration Fluid: Bulk Reef Supply REFRACTOMETER CALIBRATION SOLUTION

Sand: ARAGONITE FIJI PINK DRY SAND 40LBS
Rock: Carib Sea South Seas Base Rock- 40 lbs
Heater: Finnex HMA-S HEATER W/ ANALOG CONTROLLER - 150w

Thermometer: Inkbird ITC-308 Digital Temperature Controller

Siphon / Gravel Cleaner: Python Pro-Clean Gravel Washer Siphon Kit (Small / Tall)

Magnetic Cleaner: Flipper MAGNETIC CLEANER

5g Bucket: Two basic ones with lids. Need at least one more.

A few things on here will be able to be transferred or used on a larger size. Some things should be able to be transferred, but upgraded. My light falls into this example. I can use it, but will need more of them.

The process will be slow and I am in no rush. I am researching daily, but would love some advice. Especially if any of you have upgraded size before!

Thanks as always!|

Edit for clarity and maybe a bit more concentrated questions:

What type of equipment is required for upgrade (29 to ~100g)?

Are there any issues with using some equipment on 29g for future ~100g use like:
-ATO

-Skimmer

-Other equip?

Following along, curious about this myself if I upgrade.

From the research I've done on this topic it seems that a lot of the equipment we use won't transfer well. Wavemakers and lighting can probably be transferred but wont be enough on their own. I can't imagine a skimmer made for a nano tank being big enough for a 100 gallon unless your water is already pristine enough not to need it, but what do I know? Lol.

• Like 2