Coral Vue Hydros

Sump Suggestions- Scrub or not?

w1dude

Hi Guys, I am back after a 6 year hiatus and slowly learning everything again!  I recently purchased a tank that’ll I’ll be posting shortly, but I need some sump suggestions.  

This is a 40g sump: My question is, should I leave the algae scrubber, or cut it out and make a small refuge? Open to all opinions and suggestions!

I have always had good luck with small refugiums, but open to new things!

Thanks in advanced!

AB2D3DD7-FB2F-4A7B-A521-C936D76FF88D.jpeg

ED5AECDA-1ECC-4EB3-90E7-CDC8A34A9501.jpeg

23D755E3-44F1-4A06-A861-5553A65373F3.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

I'd try using it as-is since you bought it.  Modify it only if needed....and maybe sell it if you don't like it instead of chopping it apart.

Personally I've always been a fan of open sumps...just a plain tank.  Never liked baffles or the other gee-whiz stuff...they cut into the space, never perform as intended, and make it impossible to do some things.  

On 4/30/2020 at 2:50 AM, mcarroll said:

I'd try using it as-is since you bought it.  Modify it only if needed....and maybe sell it if you don't like it instead of chopping it apart.

Personally I've always been a fan of open sumps...just a plain tank.  Never liked baffles or the other gee-whiz stuff...they cut into the space, never perform as intended, and make it impossible to do some things.  

good point.  I may do that.