Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Frustrated With Tank Quality

olive

I am starting my 20g long reef tank and I am on my second aqueon tank. The first one chipped all the way through to the silicone when filled, and after a few days of being filled this one seems to have the same problem. I was attempting to reef on a reasonable budget but now it seems these tanks are wasting my money and I should invest in something higher quality. Is it worth it to buy another one of these tanks, or should I go with something that is higher quality? If I were to get a nicer tank, what would you recommend? I would like the tank to work with the light I have already purchased, a current orbit marine ic 24-36" led. 

15 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Check out the Innovative Marine peninsula tanks. See link in my signature for pics of them. 

I'll probably go with one of those because they seem to be having a sale on their website right now! I now have a good excuse to buy an expensive tank :happydance: 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, olive said:

I am starting my 20g long reef tank and I am on my second aqueon tank. The first one chipped all the way through to the silicone when filled, and after a few days of being filled this one seems to have the same problem. I was attempting to reef on a reasonable budget but now it seems these tanks are wasting my money and I should invest in something higher quality. Is it worth it to buy another one of these tanks, or should I go with something that is higher quality? If I were to get a nicer tank, what would you recommend? I would like the tank to work with the light I have already purchased, a current orbit marine ic 24-36" led. 

Can't you just trade it in? They have a warranty. I bought one at Petco and was able to exchange it when I found a chip in the glass on the side. So no extra cost to me. 

I am not sure what you mean 'chip through the silicone'. The glass is chipped or do you mean air bubbles? Air bubbles in the silicone are pretty normal on these cheap tanks and not a concern unless very large. 

Anywho... IM makes nice tanks so can't go wrong with that either. 

• Like 3
DISQUALIFIED-QQ
2 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Can't you just trade it in? They have a warranty. I bought one at Petco and was able to exchange it when I found a chip in the glass on the side. So no extra cost to me. 

I am not sure what you mean 'chip through the silicone'. The glass is chipped or do you mean air bubbles? Air bubbles in the silicone are pretty normal on these cheap tanks and not a concern unless very large. 

Anywho... IM makes nice tanks so can't go wrong with that either. 

Petco employee here; yes you should be able to exchange it to any location especially if you have the receipt. (just easier if you have that on hand)

• Like 3
24 minutes ago, Diamonds x Pearls said:

Petco employee here; yes you should be able to exchange it to any location especially if you have the receipt. (just easier if you have that on hand)

Thank you! I think I'm going to go with a nicer tank just for the look and overall quality though.

• Like 2
DISQUALIFIED-QQ
18 hours ago, olive said:

Thank you! I think I'm going to go with a nicer tank just for the look and overall quality though.

Pretty sensible choice. You definitely get what you invest in this hobby.

• Like 1

I'm and Innovative Marine fan. Look forward to anything they come out with in the future. I've been clumsy and accidentally banged my rocks into the glass when moving things around and never made a mark. Sometimes when scraping the glass I will do something that I think surely left a scratch but nope.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, WilliamBowman said:

Are you wondering how to find the best suitable reef tank on the market these days? You can refer to this article. Hope it helps you

Thanks, but I will not take information from someone who is only on this forum to advertise their own website. A website, I might add, that advertises extremely undersized tanks for both Betta fish and Goldfish and often misguides the reader by advertising untrustworthy brands just so you can get the money from the affiliate links. If you are truly a long time hobbyist, it might be better if you dedicate your time to improving these articles and helping the hobby, as opposed to advertising on a forum :flower:

• Like 1
On 4/9/2020 at 5:14 PM, olive said:

I was attempting to reef on a reasonable budget but now it seems these tanks are wasting my money

What Tamberav said.

Funny story that goes along with this one....

Back in the day when flow pumps were WAAAAAY more expensive (like Vortechs still are) I sold one (not a Vortech) to a customer.  Two months later they came in the store again and said the pump "fell apart" during cleaning so they threw it away.  

DID WHAT!?  

The dude couldn't figure out how to reassemble it, it didn't fall apart.  And it would have been replaced without question if that had really happened.  

Don't be that dude....take broken products back.  (And ask for help when needed...you did that part 👍).

• Like 1