Pod Your Reef

Aiptasia on new macro algae, what to do?

cd459

Hi,

I ordered some fish and Gracilaria hayi online and upon adding them to the quarantine tank, I noticed there were a few Aiptasia on the algae. I took the algae out and used tweezers to remove like 3-4 anemones and added the algae back. I don’t see anymore Aiptasia but I’m not certain that I got them all. Should I remove the algae just to be safe? Or should I wait and see if anymore Aiptasia show? Even thought it’s just a quarantine tank I really don’t want to deal with Aiptasia and would like to prevent it.

I just remove them as they pop up and never had much problem with them. They seem fairly easy to eradicate in our small systems.

I think the issue is when they get somewhere people can't easily reach (like large tanks!) and then they multiply from there. 

With G. hayi it should be pretty easy to clip off the branches that have anemones attached to them and throw them away. The clipped bits should regrow rapidly as long as conditions are good. 👍