Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Radion Gen4 XR15 / EcoSmart Live Issues / Frustrations wEcoTech Marine

SaltyTanks

Curious to know if anybody else is having issues connecting their Radion Gen4's via EcoSmart Live to make setup adjustments AND if anyone else is as frustrated as I am with EcoTech Marine support???  

A few months ago I realized my Radion Gen4 XR15 diffuser was blocking out a substantial amount of PAR (maybe up to ~25%).  Corals were impacted and I needed to increase intensity.  I hadn't made any adjustments since first customizing the device settings when purchased brand new 2 years ago.  Though this time around I couldn't get the device to connect through their EcoSmart Live platform.  I contacted EcoTech Marine customer support.  They were responsive and directed me to do several software workarounds, none of which resulted in their platform / product functioning properly.  Ultimately they recommended I try connecting on a different computer.  I use a fully loaded Mac Pro with the newest OS with everything updated (Catalina, & didn't work on Mojave either).  On EcoTech Marine's side, no firmware upgrades ever and no expressed concern from them for maintaining compatibility of their products with modern technological advances.  Super frustrating now to see their full focus on selling Gen5. 

Any suggestions?  Is my relatively new Gen4 already antiquated?  Am I over reacting? 

Here's the most recent error message...

IMG_3677.thumb.JPG.8dc41a76be97ae8a5e8b483240925a4d.JPG

I couldn't connect to my Gen3 after upgrading the Mac OS. One of the other forums has a workaround - someone wrote a script that will allow you to install connection manager. A bit risky downloading and installing software from the web but I was totally stuck. Anyway it worked and I'm back to normal now.

I'll see if I can find the site again.

At some point you may be bale to use the Mobius app that connects via bluetooth. I think some G4 have the Mobius compatible chip but if you don't it's $20 (+ FedEx of $11).

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

This is why the whole wifi connected reef is a turn off for me. The consumer grade software that runs our computers and mobile devices is far too volatile and prone to errors like this; it isnt written with life support of an extremely fragile ecosystem in mind. Its frustrating in a situation like this, but imagine there was some sort of emergency you were facing and a simple software hiccup cost you the whole tank. Not worth the incredibly minor convenience of being able to set things up with your phone. Like you said, you hadn't touched the program in years, so clearly being constantly connected is not a particularly useful feature, particularly when it leads to issues like this. 

sorry to kinda hijack the thread, seems like the issue is squarely in ecotech's hands at this point, they need to issue an update. 

• Like 2