ReefCleaners.org

Coral dying

Aidanburkhardt

Aidanburkhardt

My coral is losing color and seems to be receding the only color left is on the bottom where the new growth is this is my first coral and I’ve had it for over a year and it’s been doing well and growing great but it has suddenly started losing color and looking progressively worse. Is it possible to save it and if so how

86B466DC-CFDA-4E9A-9ADA-4DEC33C6F0CD.jpeg

8A86436F-FF9D-41D7-B863-22C5D22BE971.png

Water parameters? Calc/Alk?

You have a lot of tissue loss, so I am not optimistic about your chances of recovery, honestly, but we need a little more information to help you out.

Aidanburkhardt
2 hours ago, KMitch said:

Water parameters? Calc/Alk?

You have a lot of tissue loss, so I am not optimistic about your chances of recovery, honestly, but we need a little more information to help you out.

I don’t have a calcium and alkalinity tester but all my other parameters like ammonia nitrite and nitrate are in order and I haven’t done anything differently to the tank if my calcium and alk are low how would I get them back up or down if need be should I do a large water change?

You need to test those parameters. For a coral like this, they are critical to the growth and health of the animal. 

Not to sound like a jerk, but you shouldn’t do anything to adjust your calcium and alkalinity unless you can test it. However, I suspect you’ve suffered enough tissue loss that you are unlikely to recover this coral. Sorry. 

34 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

The only tissue that seems alive is the bits that had spread on to the rock.  
The main chunk is goner, sorry. 

I actually think that more algae than tissue 😐

• Like 1
Aidanburkhardt
17 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

The only tissue that seems alive is the bits that had spread on to the rock.  
The main chunk is goner, sorry. 

17 hours ago, KMitch said:

I actually think that more algae than tissue 😐

There is a small amount of alive tissue towards the middle of the coral and the parts that have spread to the Rock as well

Most coral like that doesn’t recover from that much tissue loss.... sorry, but I don’t think it will survive. 

I’d recommend doing more research on your next coral purchase to make sure you are prepared to have the water parameters that can support the coral. 

• Like 1
Wc_aquariums

I’d say there is no saving this coral but for the future once that one year mark hits you will want to get a wide variety of tests done on your tank especially if you don’t do water changes much or have hair algae like in your case.