ReefCleaners.org

Rodi question?

justinkdenny

justinkdenny

I have been using distilled water from Walmart for my top off and water changes on my 10 gallon.  I go through about 4 gallons a week but with the water limits walmart has placed due to coronavirus I'm having trouble getting water.  My question is I am thinking about getting some type of rodi that I can attach to my faucet with an adapter and I wonder......

1.  What is a good unit for a small price?

2  My house pipes are copper. Is that a problem? 

3. What is a good tds meter?

4.  I have terrible water pressure.  Is that a problem.?

Get a good system. The cheaper units don't use universal filters so you end up with limitations on finding the filters and pay more for them.

I use spectrapure. I purchased 4 stage and added an additional cartridge for chloramine carbon.

The unit you choose will be based on your water quality.

Mine has very high tds, very hard water, and treated with chloramine and chlorine so I decided on 5 stages.

Water pressure does play a part. Most units 55 psi or more is needed or you gotta add another piece of equipment. 

The better units usually come with a tds meter.

Brs and spectrapure are 2 good brands.

Cheaper unit RO Buddy(you have to use their filters)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
justinkdenny
1 minute ago, Clown79 said:

Get a good system. The cheaper units don't use universal filters so you end up with limitations on finding the filters and pay more for them.

I use spectrapure. I purchased 4 stage and added an additional cartridge for chloramine carbon.

The unit you choose will be based on your water quality.

Mine has very high tds, very hard water, and treated with chloramine and chlorine so I decided on 5 stages.

Water pressure does play a part. Most units 55 psi or more is needed or you gotta add another piece of equipment. 

The better units usually come with a tds meter.

Brs and spectrapure are 2 good brands.

Cheaper unit RO Buddy(you have to use their filters)

So filters.....  is it cheaper in the long run to get a brs.  Are there filters cheaper or last longer.  I've read mixed reviews about rodi buddy.  Are their filters high.  By the way, still no dino's! Yeah

7 minutes ago, justinkdenny said:

So filters.....  is it cheaper in the long run to get a brs.  Are there filters cheaper or last longer.  I've read mixed reviews about rodi buddy.  Are their filters high.  By the way, still no dino's! Yeah

I don't use or order from BRS cause it costs too much to ship to cda.

Most of the bigger units you can use filter that fits in the chamber.

For instance I use spectrapure. The containers are 10". I use bulk di resin that I fill the cartridge with, Pentek chlorplus carbon block, a regular carbon block, and sediment. No spectrapure filters.

I'm pretty certain BRS units are the same but their filters may not be very costly.

I live in an apartment complex.  In the next few weeks i will run out of purchased RODI.  Are there units that are more convenient in these circumstances?  I don't think the kitchen faucet has a threaded end.  

I dread having to use tap water and deal with algae outbreaks etc.  

I live in an apartment and my faucet has female threads so I had to buy a brass adaptor so that the hose that comes with the rodi unit would work.

These are the 2 I have to use on my faucet

20200404_210924.jpg

20200404_211137.jpg