Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Green Algae on Sand

J Fox

Question ~

Why am I growing green (thin green) on the sand of our BioCube ? Its not stringy, and no bubbles. Grows fast though ! 

Tested water this morning with new Red Sea kit... 

Nitrates 0

Phosphates 0.01

It has been a week and a half since last water change. 

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated ! 

IMG_2491.JPG

So I understand how to vacuum gravel in a fresh water tank but how is that done in a reef aquarium with sand without taking the sand out with it ?  Also I don’t understand how a lack of nutrients can do it.  Not doubting just wondering .. ?  
Thank you for the reply 

When vacuuming the sand you do it lightly, as any sand goes up the tube, you place your finger on the end where the water is going out to stop the flow. Once the sand drops, remove finger and continu on.

I always go on an angle and lightly shake the tube as sand goes up.

You will lose small amounts.

If you haven't been vacuuming it, start off in small sections with every weekly waterchange.

Once the tank is accustomed to it, then you can do it all every week.

You also haven't mentioned a cuc, the water you use, filtration media and maintenance of it. These are factors that could be an issue.

The explanation of lack of nutrients to no nutrients is quite a long and detailed process.

The simple answer.

Lack of nutrients allows nuisance algae to flourish while preventing beneficial algaes and other life from forming. The nuisance algae out competes other life. With lighting, algae always has a food source whereas other life requires more than just light. Starving a tank is great for looks but horrible for the ecosystem.

Dino's are 1 thing that flourish with little to no nutrients, very little competition for it. Main competitor is pods, pods feed on only certain things and in tanks easily become low in population due to all the things that eat pods.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you so much for the detailed response. I apologize for the delay in getting back to you. Everything is so crazy here right now with all that is going on. Our little reef tank does give an escape though... 

OK so after reading the reply I can add this :

Filtration - 

pump - Cobalt MJ1200 

In-Tank media rack with Floss, Purigen pouch, and ChemiPure Elite. 

Tunze 9001 skimmer 

Flow - Vortech MP10

Lighting - Nano Box BioCube LED conversion kit

Water - BRS 6-stage RO/DI system 

Food - Reef Roids, Reef Chili, frozen Reef Frenzy Nano  ( not much of ANY of that actually ) 

Clean up crew - a fleet of Trochus snails  (6 or 7) at last count, one grey snail that burrows in sand with a antanae , 4 bumble bee snails. Blue leg hermit crabs which I think munched on one of my corals. 

So I am guessing our reef tank is TOO clean. 

I have increased the flow on Vortech and dropped the lights 25% on each channel. I don't know if stirring the sand would help any or not.

ALSO wondering what kind of hose you use to vacuum ? I have a vacuum that I used on fresh water tanks that has like a bulb pump to get siphon going. Once that sand goes in its hard to get it to turn back ! Also this particular algae is clumping on the sand and sticking. Here is a picture from this morning. Again thank you for your help ! 

IMG_0867.jpg

How much time and energy do you have? This is what I would do. Skim the top layer of sand off with a small net. Place in a bucket or container, pour in 3% hydrogen peroxide 2/3 with some water 1/3. Stir the crap out of it after a 15 minute soak. Rinse with water and put back in the tank. Then try the black out. That’s just me.

• Like 1
On 4/17/2020 at 2:42 PM, J Fox said:

Thank you so much for the detailed response. I apologize for the delay in getting back to you. Everything is so crazy here right now with all that is going on. Our little reef tank does give an escape though... 

OK so after reading the reply I can add this :

Filtration - 

pump - Cobalt MJ1200 

In-Tank media rack with Floss, Purigen pouch, and ChemiPure Elite. 

Tunze 9001 skimmer 

Flow - Vortech MP10

Lighting - Nano Box BioCube LED conversion kit

Water - BRS 6-stage RO/DI system 

Food - Reef Roids, Reef Chili, frozen Reef Frenzy Nano  ( not much of ANY of that actually ) 

Clean up crew - a fleet of Trochus snails  (6 or 7) at last count, one grey snail that burrows in sand with a antanae , 4 bumble bee snails. Blue leg hermit crabs which I think munched on one of my corals. 

So I am guessing our reef tank is TOO clean. 

I have increased the flow on Vortech and dropped the lights 25% on each channel. I don't know if stirring the sand would help any or not.

ALSO wondering what kind of hose you use to vacuum ? I have a vacuum that I used on fresh water tanks that has like a bulb pump to get siphon going. Once that sand goes in its hard to get it to turn back ! Also this particular algae is clumping on the sand and sticking. Here is a picture from this morning. Again thank you for your help ! 

IMG_0867.jpg

Can you not pull it off by hand, looks like it's matted algae? I would do as much physical removal as possible and syphon the sand bed afterwards. I have a fine particle sand so I stir the water above it and syphon from about 1" away to get the detritus and not lose sand

• Like 1