ReefCleaners.org

Best triton/or not sump?

ValerieR

I’m looking to replace my stock sump on my SCA 66. I’m not happy with the inlets/socks all the way in the rear, and I find the pump compartment much too big. What I would really like is a overflowing filter pad or 4” sock option, going into a fuge, then a skimmer/reactor section, then a small pump section with a built in AIO section. Alas, that doesn’t exist. so I’m looking at two main options:

Trigger Triton 26 ($359)

Bashsea Smart Series 30x15x16 ($333)

I LOVE the Trigger lid, 2nd overflow to filter material, and the emergency overflow piece built in towards the center, but their sump cannot be converted back to the “standard” skimmer first setup, and their fuge is tiny if you have filter socks.

The Bashsea it a much better layout, but I’ll have difficulty getting my emergency overflow all the way to the right without a lot of 90s to go around my pump inlet pipe and my main drain. It also has no lid, so I’ll need to add one to reduce evaporation. It is however, bigger. I’ve heard negatives about the pump compartment... some say it’s too small. 

With either option, I’ll struggle to get an AIO under there. The Trigger has a remote possibility that I can get a 6” wide tank in there, since it’s 26 and my stand is 31 3/4”. The Bashsea only leaves me 2” along the side, so I’ll need to fit my AIO in front. 

Anyone have any feedback on either sump?

You could just have glass cut so you can customize something exactly to your layout. I could never find a pre-made ideal sump and the prices are high vs just spending a small amount to have things made. 

I'm running the Saphire 26 from Trigger and have been very happy with it.  The quality is great and I really like the ability to adjust the baffles and change the sock holder.

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, Tamberav said:

You could just have glass cut so you can customize something exactly to your layout. I could never find a pre-made ideal sump and the prices are high vs just spending a small amount to have things made. 

I just got a Mantis and I'm concerned for my Evo 13.5, so I'd like to put him in the sump once it's in, so I really need an acrylic one. I'd make one myself, but I am in the middle of rebuilding an Airstream, so I just can't right now. 

2 hours ago, ValerieR said:

I just got a Mantis and I'm concerned for my Evo 13.5, so I'd like to put him in the sump once it's in, so I really need an acrylic one. I'd make one myself, but I am in the middle of rebuilding an Airstream, so I just can't right now.I

I kept a large peacock in a 45g glass tank. She slapped the glass all the time. It is only small tanks (with thin glass) that are a worry. You could always cut out a piece of acrylic and lay on the bottom to protect it from her digging. The glass breaking is largely just myth from when people stick them in small tanks 😉

FYI they can crawl out of tanks that are not covered/crawl over baffles and get in where your skimmer/pump is and so on. 

2 hours ago, Tamberav said:

I kept a large peacock in a 45g glass tank. She slapped the glass all the time. It is only small tanks (with thin glass) that are a worry. You could always cut out a piece of acrylic and lay on the bottom to protect it from her digging. The glass breaking is largely just myth from when people stick them in small tanks 😉

FYI they can crawl out of tanks that are not covered/crawl over baffles and get in where your skimmer/pump is and so on. 

I'm actually not really worried about the bottom... I buried a big u-shaped piece of 1" PVC in the sand and she took right to it. She blocks both her entrances every night and slaps away at the pipe. It gives her something to do besides hit the glass. I just worry about her hitting the sides... a 13.5 is as thin as a 10. The lid is snug, so she won't get out the top. I built the tank for a spearer I had, and had an eel in there after that. It's on a bookshelf, and as a true book nerd, I worry about my books if she cracks the glass. I've thought about putting her in my 66, but I worry about my corals. I can move the shrimp, and my fish should be fine. It'd mean no more eels in that tank though. 

23 hours ago, ValerieR said:

I'm actually not really worried about the bottom... I buried a big u-shaped piece of 1" PVC in the sand and she took right to it. She blocks both her entrances every night and slaps away at the pipe. It gives her something to do besides hit the glass. I just worry about her hitting the sides... a 13.5 is as thin as a 10. The lid is snug, so she won't get out the top. I built the tank for a spearer I had, and had an eel in there after that. It's on a bookshelf, and as a true book nerd, I worry about my books if she cracks the glass. I've thought about putting her in my 66, but I worry about my corals. I can move the shrimp, and my fish should be fine. It'd mean no more eels in that tank though. 

I just meant when you move her into the sump, you will probably need to have the fuge section covered so she can't crawl out or over the baffles and a large glass sump shouldn't be an issue for her breaking it if you can't find something that work for acrylic. 

• Like 1

I won't move her to the sump unless its acrylic, my 66's sump glass is even thinner than my 13.5's. And I am expecting to put a lid in place no matter which one I go with. I have a "lid" on my current sump and it helps a lot with evaporation. I just still can't decide which setup works better for me, as they both have features that I like. I think the bashsea may be best for me, with the larger fuge and ability to go back to the traditional skimmer first layout if I want to. I'll just keep my emergency drain going into the 2nd compartment instead of using their pipe inlet all the way on the left.