Coral Vue Hydros

nano cube owners (please read)

kappa

its easy to over tighten the screws to the clear plastic splash guard. i have had mine off several times adding supplemental LED's and moonlights and general cleaning of the fans and have slightly cracked the plastic around the screw holes in the guard. i had some 1620 18 guage stainless steel plate (this is a very high quality steel) around so i made a template of the guard and cut a outer gasket (so to speak) drilled holes that aligned with the hood smeared a thin layer of petroleum jelly on the gasket and reinstalled. this works well and gives a better seal between the hood and guard and the jelly also helps seal and prevents sticking when removing.

I've had mine a year... no ballast probs, the hod still looks good haven't replaced the bulb though my 10w T5 died when I got it in water... Going to either use it as a second LPS only tank or a fuge when I get my new 40 gallon in a month...

shao-lin nano

I've taken apart everything and put it back together at least 20 times in a matter of a week or two doing light mods and adding fans and haven't had any problems with it. I've drilled numerous holes and cut 'n gut lots of other places too without trouble.

I've got the 24g model. Haven't set it up yet with life stock and only ran the lights for a couple of days to test them. Hopefully with the lights running with heat and condensation the hood will hold up to the test of time, heat, and saltwater.

i will bet just as long as any tank. considering the huge popularity of these tanks, as with any tank there will be a few problems. consider the numbers. just one of numerous examples: i have had two tanks crack over the years (not nano cubes), i know of some friends that have had cracks or problems with several manufactures and types of tanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, I didn't mean to make a very negative remark against the nano cube, although it may seem like I bashed the nano cube when I said I would be sending it to the garbage, but that was a joke. Everybody made some good comments with reasonable points. Over all, I give the jbj two thumbs up for creating a starter tank which allowed me a chance to give the saltwater reef hobby a try.

Archived