ReefCleaners.org

Maturing a tank during a quarantine

Muffin87

First dose of ammonia: between 3 and 4 ppm

NowNH3/4 0 - NO2 0,1 - NO3 high

I suppose 0,1 ppm NO2 doesn't really make a big difference, so I was thinking I won't dose anymore ammonia.

I'll keep dosing Continuum Aquatics BacterGen M, which contains a tiny bit of ammonia.

Is this a good plan?

My city is under quarantine. Fish stores are all closed, and even couriers aren't working. So, no online orders.

I know it's a long shot, but is there anything I could do with my tank to help it mature besides putting fish inside?

Thanks a lot.

EDIT: it's worth mentioning I did a fishless cycle with no live rock or livesand. Only dry rock and dry sand put in shallow plastic containers. (I'll be going barebottom after my tank matures a bit).

Get an eBook of Marine Aquarium Handbook Beginner to Breeder by Martin A Moe Jr.  

Or the same author's Marine Aquarium Reference, which appears to be a two-part eBook now.  (Both real books can be gotten used for cheap if you had delivery options available.)

The natural method makes all the sense in the world when you're locked at home with nothing but time.  In 4-6 weeks a tank will cycle with or without your help.  Very well-detailed in that book.

It's worth pointing out that a cycled bio-filter is to live rock as a mole hill is to a mountain.

A bio-filter will oxidize ammonia, which is a good thing.....but it doesn't do anything else.  

Your tank still needs LOTS of different microbes to make a healthy reef.

• Like 1