SaltCritters.com

I Thought Cyano Was Coralline...how do I fix?

Prezpreston

5 hours ago, Prezpreston said:

This is super helpful Clown, thank you - I’m hoping my existing pod population explodes after eating these phyto. Also excited to see the effect it will have on my coral!

Just monitor how much phyto you dose, it does raise phos.

I do it 1- 2 times a week in my tank in small amounts. I dose after lights off with no water movement for 10mins

• 2 weeks later...
Prezpreston
On 4/1/2020 at 6:47 AM, Clown79 said:

Just monitor how much phyto you dose, it does raise phos.

I do it 1- 2 times a week in my tank in small amounts. I dose after lights off with no water movement for 10mins

So I ended up getting a shipment of copepods to go with my phyto that I got from AB - after dosing the lowest recommended amount of phyto (5 ml per day) - I ended up having a bit of a phyto outbreak in the tank. The glass of my aquarium was absolutely covered - but my corals are definitely responding well to the phyto, and I definitely noticed copepods on the side of my tank.

In addition, after just doing 30% water change, and dosing some phyto last night, my tank has already started taking on that greenish tinge again.

Should I just discontinue the phyto dosing for now? Am I seeing that explosion of phyto because I don't have the other nitrifying bacteria in place in my tank?

19 minutes ago, Prezpreston said:

Am I seeing that explosion of phyto because I don't have the other nitrifying bacteria in place in my tank?

This would be my guess.

20 minutes ago, Prezpreston said:

In addition, after just doing 30% water change

Are your phosphates up or still down?  

If they are still zero/near-zero you should stop doing water changes.  

If you can dose the water change water with your taget level of phosphate (I suggest 0.10 ppm) beforehand, that will keep tank levels from being lowered by the water change.  Then you're safe doing water changes.

Prezpreston
2 hours ago, mcarroll said:

This would be my guess.

Are your phosphates up or still down?  

If they are still zero/near-zero you should stop doing water changes.  

If you can dose the water change water with your taget level of phosphate (I suggest 0.10 ppm) beforehand, that will keep tank levels from being lowered by the water change.  Then you're safe doing water changes.

Still down 😞 Close to 0 PPM - but I'm about to post in a separate thread to get your opinion on a number of things that I'm seeing in the tank, to see what I should be doing.

• Like 1