Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Wave Maker recommendations for a 9g PicoNano

bruinhd

Hi folks, I have my pump upgraded in my 9gallon AIO peninsula to a 160gph but the flow is significantly cut down with the IM Spinstream nozzle. Perhaps running at 100gph or so. I have a major dead spot on the left 30% of the tank. I want to put in another pump/wave maker, but did not want too much flow in the process. I have a couple questions:

1. Is the AQAMAI KPS Wave Maker too powerful for a 9 gallon (7 gallon in the front, 2 gallon sump). It's minimum gph is listed as 340gph. Anyone with experience using it in a pico?

2. Has anyone tried the Hygger Wave Maker?

3. I also looked at the Jebao OW-10 wave maker but reviews on reliability are terrible.

I ideally want a pump that is not overpowering for LPS and is able to run from 1pm to 10pm. The Hygger only is able to run in 4 hour intervals daily which is annoying.

Thank you nano reefers!

I use an aqamai. I find the flow become weaker with distance but that could be my rockwork/placement. It is controllable

I had the jebao sw for nano's and it was on lowest settings in my 15g, it was very strong flow but an unreliable wavemaker

A hydor 240 would work. It's a good little powerhead.

You could check out tunze turbelle nano stream electronic. Its rate for 5g + 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I use an aqamai. I find the flow become weaker with distance but that could be my rockwork/placement. It is controllable

I had the jebao sw for nano's and it was on lowest settings in my 15g, it was very strong flow but an unreliable wavemaker

A hydor 240 would work. It's a good little powerhead.

You could check out tunze turbelle nano stream electronic. Its rate for 5g + 

Thank you. This was very helpful. Are you using the aqamai in the 10g tank you have, or the 20? That settings do you have on it if you don't mind me asking. I'm leaning towards getting the aqamai because I'm interested in the level of control. Did you receive the AI Prime HD yet? I'd like to know what settings you're using on that too if you don't mind.

Thanks ahead.

Penguin Reef

I am using the KPS on a 8 gallon peninsula at 5%-15% with about 6 gallons of water (any higher and everything is blowing). I also upgraded my return pump to a 160gph with a spinstream attached. I have mostly softies and LPS. The KPS plus the Spinstream do a great job with random and swaying flow in my setup.

1 hour ago, bruinhd said:

Thank you. This was very helpful. Are you using the aqamai in the 10g tank you have, or the 20? That settings do you have on it if you don't mind me asking. I'm leaning towards getting the aqamai because I'm interested in the level of control. Did you receive the AI Prime HD yet? I'd like to know what settings you're using on that too if you don't mind.

Thanks ahead.

I use the aqamai in my 25g. It's on various settings throughout a 24hr cycle.

The settings really are dependent on your corals and set up. Takes a lot of playing with.

In my 10g and 20g, I ran and run only upgraded return pumps with rfg nozzles, no powerheads.

2 hours ago, Penguin Reef said:

I am using the KPS on a 8 gallon peninsula at 5%-15% with about 6 gallons of water (any higher and everything is blowing). I also upgraded my return pump to a 160gph with a spinstream attached. I have mostly softies and LPS. The KPS plus the Spinstream do a great job with random and swaying flow in my setup.

If you can run it at 5-15%, then I guess you can get the KPS to go lower than 340gph. That's good to know.

Penguin Reef
3 hours ago, bruinhd said:

If you can run it at 5-15%, then I guess you can get the KPS to go lower than 340gph. That's good to know.

Yeah that was one of my concerns as well. It takes a little time to tweak each setting for the day with the app but it's set it and forget it after that.

MainelyReefer

Try a 1/4” RFG nozzle instead of the spin stream much better option IME.  A cheap koralia nano 240 would work as a power head or a Pico evo mag 180

• Like 1

Look at this pump. I just ordered it.

https://www.amazon.ca/Jebao-OW-10-Wavemaker-132-1057-Controller/dp/B076FK8G1P

I just noticedtou already looked at it but your worried aboit reliability. They changed the entire motor in this "ow" series so i hope that will ease the people's problems with reliability. Even though I've yet to see a thread showing one failing or whatever. I'll give it a whirl  and see how the pump works out. Its replacing my hydor 240.