inTank Media Baskets

Canary Blenny Won’t eat

Ac4570

I’ve had a canary blenny in my qt tank for almost 2 weeks and I can’t seem to get him to eat. So far I’ve tried using flake, pellets, and frozen brine but still nothing. Whenever I feed I see him searching the glass bottom and the a piece of live rock I have in there for food but they’re nothing on them since it has not been established for long. Any recommendations for getting him to eat anything? I’ve read about feeding live bring but my LFS doesn’t carry any.  Thanks

23 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Brine isn't a very healthy choice, it's more of a treat.

Get frozen mysis, pretty much the go to for picky eaters.

Thanks for the info, brine was recommended by a LFS near me (who I no longer go to) but I’ll run out today and pick up some mysis. 

• Like 1

You can try to soak the food in garlic juice that will sometimes help with picky eaters. Another thing to try is getting a bottle of tigger copepods they are bigger and live. I use them since I can't get live brine anymore.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
50 minutes ago, Ac4570 said:

Thanks for the info, brine was recommended by a LFS near me (who I no longer go to) but I’ll run out today and pick up some mysis. 

My bangaii will eat nothing but mysis and this seafood mix frozen food by omega.

If you can get some frozen veggie or nori strip, that may help too. Some blenny's need algae in their diet.

• Thanks 1

Sometimes live brine shrimp are available... it's not a staple diet but live may intice it to eat. You could fatten the live brine up with some reef roids or finely ground flake food... just my .02

Good luck. 

Is it possible it is grazing when you are not looking? 

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, FollyFish said:

You can try to soak the food in garlic juice that will sometimes help with picky eaters. Another thing to try is getting a bottle of tigger copepods they are bigger and live. I use them since I can't get live brine anymore.

Will give the garlic juice a try. Tried it with another fish in the past and seemed to help, just gotta pick up some more juice. As for the copepods, I’m planning on buying some to try, none of my LFSs around carry them (or live brine for that matter) so I’ll get some online. Thanks for the suggestions 

20 minutes ago, jambon said:

Sometimes live brine shrimp are available... it's not a staple diet but live may intice it to eat. You could fatten the live brine up with some reef roids or finely ground flake food... just my .02

Good luck. 

Is it possible it is grazing when you are not looking? 

None of the stores around have live brine sadly, but I can try online possibly. I think it’s possible and am hoping that the blenny is grazing, but since it’s my QT and hasn’t been established long there isn’t much to graze at this point. Thanks

3 hours ago, Clown79 said:

My bangaii will eat nothing but mysis and this seafood mix frozen food by omega.

If you can get some frozen veggie or nori strip, that may help too. Some blenny's need algae in their diet.

Had a similar experience with my bangaii in the past as well, luckily it finally decided to eat on its own. I’ve tried nori (dried, can’t get frozen around me) in the past with no success. Starting to get some algae in the tank so hopefully that changes something. Thanks