ReefCleaners.org

Fluval intank media fuge

Reefsamurai

Reefsamurai

I'll be ordering the intank media basket for my fluval 5 and I'm on the fence about the fuge light mod. What kind of success(if any) is anyone having using this chamber for a fuge? We have no fish, only palys and zoos. Eventually we will add SPS when I upgrade from the wave point to a AI or a kessil. I do feed the corals twice a week and do weekly water changes. I use the ceramic pellets that came with the tank and chemipure elite. 

Do you have any nutrients in the tank? 

Chemipure elite reduces phos.

With little or no phos and nitrate, chaeto won't grow and melt away. 

If the tank is new, I'd wait to add chaeto until you have enough nutrients for it and the corals.

Reefsamurai
8 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Do you have any nutrients in the tank? 

Chemipure elite reduces phos.

With little or no phos and nitrate, chaeto won't grow and melt away. 

If the tank is new, I'd wait to add chaeto until you have enough nutrients for it and the corals.

We do not have a lot of nutrients in the tank yet as I'm pretty religious on weekly/biweekly water changes but we just started feeding the corals on a biweekly basis so I am looking at the tanks future and being pro, not reactive to any potential nutrient build ups from the feedings. 

We have discussed fish but this tank always has just been corals from the beginning.

We're about a couple months old.

54 minutes ago, Reefsamurai said:

We do not have a lot of nutrients in the tank yet as I'm pretty religious on weekly/biweekly water changes but we just started feeding the corals on a biweekly basis so I am looking at the tanks future and being pro, not reactive to any potential nutrient build ups from the feedings. 

We have discussed fish but this tank always has just been corals from the beginning.

We're about a couple months old.

Even feeding often may not contribute to high nutrients.

Higher nutrients isn't always a bad thing but low to none existant is. 

Reefsamurai
1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

Even feeding often may not contribute to high nutrients.

Higher nutrients isn't always a bad thing but low to none existant is. 

My experience comes from larger tanks with sumps and with fish including corals and 10 years ago. This is our first tank with no fish. I've had small tanks before but with fish and I converted HOB fluval filters to support a fuge to combat nutrients.  

I'm just making sure I'm on the right track to add in SPS in the future.