Pod Your Reef

Powerhead recommendations for a 20L pico?

CC26

I'm setting up a 20L (~4.4gal) pico which will be softie and CUC only (although I might add a clown goby somewhere down the line). My LFS recommended a 200-500LPH flow rate for such a tank, but so far I have yet to come across a powerhead with a flow rate below 900LPH. Recommendations will be appreciated.

7 hours ago, Clown79 said:

This would be good in a pico 

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/pico-evo-mag-180-gph-powerhead.html

Or the hydor 240.

Are you running a filter?

Nope, will not be running a filter.

I have read some not so flattering reviews of the Hydor Pico Evo Mag. Here is one example. Any comment on that? Noisy pumps are a dealbreaker for me because the tank will be in my bedroom.

Gourami Swami

I had a tiny hydor return pump and loved it. Quiet and reliable.

I also had the smalled jebao (ow10 I think) in a 6 gallon turned on the lowest setting and it was fine

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, CC26 said:

Nope, will not be running a filter.

I have read some not so flattering reviews of the Hydor Pico Evo Mag. Here is one example. Any comment on that? Noisy pumps are a dealbreaker for me because the tank will be in my bedroom.

I have two, one rattles occasionally but if you switch it off and on again a few times it stops. Tends to spit out a load of bubbles when this happens

The other have had 0 issues with

6 minutes ago, Gourami Swami said:

I had a tiny hydor return pump and loved it. Quiet and reliable.

I also had the smalled jebao (ow10 I think) in a 6 gallon turned on the lowest setting and it was fine

Which model Hydor did you have? This one, or one of these? According to reviews I've read the latter are better in terms of noise level, but the trade-off is that they have less flexibility (flow direction can be adjusted horizontally but not vertically).

12 minutes ago, CC26 said:

Which model Hydor did you have? This one, or one of these? According to reviews I've read the latter are better in terms of noise level, but the trade-off is that they have less flexibility (flow direction can be adjusted horizontally but not vertically).

I had the latter version. It was noisy and it came with a huge plastic holder to support it.

There aren't many options for a tiny tank.

The next one would be the hydor 240

4 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

You could look into small pond pumps, water fountain pumps, or if you have a FW filter laying around use the pump section of that?

IMG_20200310_141323_resized_20200310_021403179.thumb.jpg.f9abbaf09de4322802eace0eda64bbb7.jpg

Well those don't come with adjustable flow direction now do they?

25 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

You could look into small pond pumps, water fountain pumps, or if you have a FW filter laying around use the pump section of that?

IMG_20200310_141323_resized_20200310_021403179.thumb.jpg.f9abbaf09de4322802eace0eda64bbb7.jpg

Well, if adjustable flow direction is out of the question, what do you think about something like this? The main reason I'm concerned about a lack of adjustability is because I want the powerhead to point upwards in order to generate surface agitation. If I positioned the pump high enough in the tank, would I still be able to achieve ample surface agitation even though the stream is delivered parallel to the water surface (ie. horizontally) rather than at an angle against the surface?

21 minutes ago, CC26 said:

Well, if adjustable flow direction is out of the question, what do you think about something like this? The main reason I'm concerned about a lack of adjustability is because I want the powerhead to point upwards in order to generate surface agitation. If I positioned the pump high enough in the tank, would I still be able to achieve ample surface agitation even though the stream is delivered parallel to the water surface (ie. horizontally) rather than at an angle against the surface?

If you want I can have a look through my spares and see what I have? I'm assuming UK with that last website?

What is the tank by the way? Might help out a bit

Just now, Ratvan said:

Nice, will have a look at what I got when i get in and shoot you a PM

Great, thanks. For now I think I'll buy the pump I linked and see how well it works. Not much of an investment, that one.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Nice, will have a look at what I got when i get in and shoot you a PM

I've been looking around for a bit and I found this which looks pretty good. It has adjustable flow direction. This one's technically an internal filter, but hey, same difference, right?

• Like 1

I have a 6020 running in a vacant 30 Gallon Long right now that's just full of freshwater.....seems like it would be great in a 20 Gallon tank.  😉 🙄

Might be OK in a 5 gallon tank too -- I haven't tried anything like that.  (Plus, I don't know the shape of the OP's tank.)  

For what it's worth, it didn't seem like overkill when I had it in a 5 Gallon bucket, but that's obviously not comparing apples to apples.

• Like 1