Innovative Marine Aquariums

Topless or glass cover??

Michael46

Guys setup my aqua one 35ltr tank which comes with glass lid ive been reading reef tanks are better without glass lids,for better gas exchange and best to go with open top or mesh to stop any jumpers! Thoughts please? 

I'm happy with my glass lid with rubber bumpers. I used to have glass lids that were too approximated to the rim on my old builds, and it is true that gas exchange was inhibited. I think you have to have spacing by 4-5mm off the top with glass. Mesh is cool cuz it allows to have not only open gas exchange, but you can also easily put an autofeeder above a mesh when you are out of town. I learned the hard way when I started the hobby that you should try to always have a cover of some sort. Too much evaporation is bad swings in salinity, and when a fish jumps, it's very, very depressing.

spacer.png

DSC05886.JPG

There are a lot of mixed opinions on fully covered vs open for gas exchange.  I think I've seen that glass top with slight gaps doesn't inhibit gas exchange as much as we think but dont' quote me on that.  I had a glass top on one tank and it helped a lot with evap but I broke it and it's been open since.  My other tank has a glass top with open corners and it doesn't cover the back AIO chambers so gas exchange shouldn't be very effected but I've still had one or two jump outs. 

On 3/1/2020 at 11:49 PM, bruinhd said:

I'm happy with my glass lid with rubber bumpers. I used to have glass lids that were too approximated to the rim on my old builds, and it is true that gas exchange was inhibited. I think you have to have spacing by 4-5mm off the top with glass. Mesh is cool cuz it allows to have not only open gas exchange, but you can also easily put an autofeeder above a mesh when you are out of town. I learned the hard way when I started the hobby that you should try to always have a cover of some sort. Too much evaporation is bad swings in salinity, and when a fish jumps, it's very, very depressing.

spacer.png

DSC05886.JPG

Nice look on that lid, did you have the custom made?

50 minutes ago, Gakarl100 said:

Nice look on that lid, did you have the custom made?

Yes! You just take your measurements to Ace Hardware and they will cut you a glass lid for $9! Then just take light sand paper and smooth the edges.