SaltCritters.com

DSLR VS MIRRORLESS !!

Reefkid88

This is going to be for those who use cameras (not cell phones) to chime in and explain why YOU use what gear you do. Doesn't matter if its reef potraits,landscapes,architectures..whatever it may be. 

I personally have a Canon T3i and a Nikon D3200 and am wanting to try out a mirrorless camera,I'm thinking of a Sony NEX series paired with a cheaper Meike shorter focal prime lens like a 35 or 50. 

What do you guys think ? 

The Rainy Day Aquarium

I do a lot of astrophotography as well as taking photos of my reef. My goto is my Canon 80D for most of my photos. IMO DSLRs are the way to go. However there are great benefits for mirrorless DSLRs as well. The Sony NEX series would seem to be an okay choice to just snap some photos. However, if it where me, I would save a bit more and look at something like a Sony A7ii as it has more features and a better sensor. Not to mention it's fullframe. But again it would of course depend on if you just want to try out a mirrorless camera or make an upgrade from your current cameras. 😊

38 minutes ago, The Rainy Day Aquarium said:

I do a lot of astrophotography as well as taking photos of my reef. My goto is my Canon 80D for most of my photos. IMO DSLRs are the way to go. However there are great benefits for mirrorless DSLRs as well. The Sony NEX series would seem to be an okay choice to just snap some photos. However, if it where me, I would save a bit more and look at something like a Sony A7ii as it has more features and a better sensor. Not to mention it's fullframe. But again it would of course depend on if you just want to try out a mirrorless camera or make an upgrade from your current cameras. 😊

That is what I am trying to get into. I have 1 decent shot with my 50mm on my Nikon but that is about it. But I also only went out on a cloudy night,and there is TONS of light pollution where I am at,and I tried for aboit 30 minutes and said screw it. My local pawn shop has a Rokinon 14mm for $130 I think I may go put some money down on tomorrow. 

I'm not looking to replace my dslr's,for crop sensors they are both fantastic cameras. Especially the Nikon at 24mp. I just want to try a mirrorless out. I almost got a a5000 with a 16-50 (I believe) today for $160 but I passed. 

If the A7 was not super expensive for my cheap ass,I would get one. The 6D/5D isn't too badly priced and is full frame as well. And takes all my EF lenses kinda win win for me. 

The Rainy Day Aquarium

Right on! Yeah astrophotography has a pretty steep learning curve but is very rewarding! The rokinon 14mm is a great lens too. Makes sense. Haha yeah it's a bit spendy for sure. I saw some people using the sony nex 5 for astrophotography and they were getting some really neat results. Really any of your cameras would be great fot astrophotography, but I get the appeal of a mirrorless camera. One thing on your list to invest in is a star tracker of somesorts (I recommend the skywatcher star adventurer) as it will really take your night images to the next level. 

I more so want the mirrorless for every day shooting & the tank and using the dslr's for if I really want to shoot and get quality pics/astro shots if that makes sense. 

I have watched a few videos from AstroBackyard on YT and the images he got with the t3i and a 50mm was amazing.

There are a few trackers,one of which I saw yesterday at a pawnshop for $150,but there are a few I have seen online for $200 or so brand new. Definitely my next investment for sure. 

I think a NEX-5  (16.1mp) with a Meike 35mm or 50mm would be pretty good for just shooting the tank and portraits in certain situations. I can get a overall good condition 5 for $85,and the lens for for $60-$75. So for about $150-$160 for an every day rig is NOT bad. I could get some cheap extension tubes for macro's if need be. 

• Like 2